Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Apple is doing amazing, partly because iPods and macs are popular with the younger crowds who don't get hit by the recession as much as the older people who work and have to pay for their house, etc. Younger people have more disposable income.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Okay, point taken.

Technology must still advance regardless of economic conditions.

I guess Apple will be the one to actually pull-off a "tablet computer". It will be easy for them as the OS and Apps make the system and they have the means to do so.

I guess we are all waiting for the answer to the question, "How much?" :eek:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Okay, point taken.

Technology must still advance regardless of economic conditions.

I guess Apple will be the one to actually pull-off a "tablet computer". It will be easy for them as the OS and Apps make the system and they have the means to do so.

I guess we are all waiting for the answer to the question, "How much?" :eek:

Reading -
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/21/verizon-att-carry-apple-tablet/
- 6 days to go and I think Apple knows - but the carriers may not have agreed!

We're six days away from the Apple event and carrier details haven't been finalized, which may mean Apple will announce the product without the logical "who and how much" part of the announcement. Network choice would instantly become the elephant in the room.

It sounds odd for Apple to have a major press event without a final carrier deal, but then again, Apple held an event for the iPhone 3GS before MMS messaging and tethering were officially supported by AT&T. And to this day, tethering still isn't supported.

Nevertheless, Apple is in talks with both AT&T and Verizon to support the tablet, according to sources within the companies: One version of the device will run on CDMA networks such as Verizon's, and one will operate on GSM networks like that owned by AT&T.

Or see "Keeping the iPhone Secret"
January 11, 2007
Written by Arnold Kim
... CNN.com has an interesting article about the secrecy surrounding the Apple iPhone....
Apple didn't show Cingular the final iPhone prototype until just weeks before this week's debut.
In some cases, Apple crafted bogus handset prototypes to show not just to Cingular executives, but also to Apple's own workers.
This would explain why even though knowledge of an iPhone product was widespread, the exact details of the device were successfully shielded.
In the coming days, we will look back at rumors and recap where the most accurate information came from.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
People who can afford it buy it. As usual, people who can't afford the Tablet, buy it, and start to find reasons to whine here in the forums.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Flop

I don't think this thing will work. It looks to be expensive and another bill is not what anyone wants.

Yes, yes, Apple's doing phenomenal in today's Economy...

We just had layoffs at work (I got to keep my underpaying job, but now I have more work because of the layoffs).

I don't see how this can be successful if Apple releases the thing at more than the price of a NetBook or requires some sort of cellular carrier $40/month or more plan with it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple released the original iPod on October 23, 2001.

Not long after an event that had a severe impact on the economy. Heck I didn't even paid attention to the iPod release.

Isn't it fair to say Apple is doing its fair bit to stimulate the economy?

Good point. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.