Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB-Cedric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Looking to buy a 15-inch retina macbook pro with the dgpu, but I read so much horrible stuff about GPU and even CPU throttling, there was some indication that this was a driver problem and was fixed in El Capitan but I haven't found any conclusive evidence.

Is there anyone that has any recent relevant/recent information on this?

Thanks in advance!

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I only have anecdotal evidence from OS X (El Cap) and it stinks to high heaven.
(In Bootcamp I can easily document excessive throttling with GPU-Z)

Unless you need the computer now, I'd wait and see what a potential refresh brings in 2016.

But it seems that Apple might be using AMD GPUs for a while, and I'll be damned if I ever buy a computer with a cursed AMD GPU.
-I had a "gaming laptop" (talk about oxymoron) a couple of years ago that had an AMD GPU, and it throttled like hell as well.

If you need the computer now, I'd buy last years model with the Nvidia card instead.
You miss out on the 2015's super snappy SSD, but the CPU is the same. Also you save a pretty penny.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I only have anecdotal evidence from OS X (El Cap) and it stinks to high heaven.
(In Bootcamp I can easily document excessive throttling with GPU-Z)

Unless you need the computer now, I'd wait and see what a potential refresh brings in 2016.

But it seems that Apple might be using AMD GPUs for a while, and I'll be damned if I ever buy a computer with a cursed AMD GPU.
-I had a "gaming laptop" (talk about oxymoron) a couple of years ago that had an AMD GPU, and it throttled like hell as well.

If you need the computer now, I'd buy last years model with the Nvidia card instead.
You miss out on the 2015's super snappy SSD, but the CPU is the same. Also you save a pretty penny.

AMD's next generation polaris cards are looking promising and are due for a mid 2016 release they may well in the next 15 inch pro.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hopefully.
But all the power in the world won't save them if their driversupport still is s.h.i.t.e.

Depends what you want to do, for gaming that is true, but apples drivers are brilliant for pro apps as thats what they are designed for.

USB-Cedric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks guys, I've decided against buying it because of:

A) Crystalwell
B) Throttling that cannot be solved with software
C) Not even HDMI 2.0

Looking forward to TB3, skylake and hopefully Polaris/Pascal or even Maxwell chips.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I haven't had any problems like this. I can play games(CS:GO with near max settings, Battlefront with good settings) in windows and I've never experienced throttling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.