Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
dlisle20 said:
would it make games run faster :confused:
Epic Games made a 64bit version of UT Tournament for linux, I think for an AMD64 demo. It was faster than the 32bit version, but the linux 64bit version was slower than the windows 32bit version... But that was due to some other things like worse linux drivers, etc etc... In theory for advanced 3D graphics, performance can be improved, depending on whether or not the game is optimized for 64 bit.
-Kevin

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
spaceballl said:
Epic Games made a 64bit version of UT Tournament for linux, I think for an AMD64 demo. It was faster than the 32bit version, but the linux 64bit version was slower than the windows 32bit version... But that was due to some other things like worse linux drivers, etc etc... In theory for advanced 3D graphics, performance can be improved, depending on whether or not the game is optimized for 64 bit.

Unfortunately as has been said before (I think earlier in this thread too). x86-64 is a completely different beast from most (all?) other 64-bit architectures. x86-64 doubles the number of integer registers, completely reorganizes the FPU and basically makes x86 a more modern architecture (although not by that much). You also need to consider the audience. It was for an AMD demo, so of course it was going to be optimized to outperform the 32-bit version. That's Marketing :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.