Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report… > SATA/SATA Express and you should find the TRIM support status for each connected device. So you should find a line for each SSD like…

TRIM Support: Yes/No

Reactions: zoran

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Depends on what SSDs you're using. When you want to enable it for non-Apple SSDs you need to use the terminal command…

sudo trimforce enable

… and follow the ensuing instructions. Be aware that this turns TRIM on for all SSDs so be mindful if you use a mix of SSDs that may well not like having TRIM enabled.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well i am using a mix of 2 drives. An SSD (Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB) and an old HDD (ST31000528AS).

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to undo the command that enabled Trim?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes!
Just enter the following into the Terminal:

sudo trimforce disable

I just looked into the issue myself, after having upgraded to 10.11 and seeing that my (previously free) version 2.2 of TRIM-enabler no longer works with 10.11 :oops: Then I came across this page about enabling Trimforce which is built into 10.11 and without any extra costs!

The question is: does the (free) "Trimforce" command built into OSX 10.11 do the same thing as the (purchaseable) TRIM-enabler software, or is it worth laying out the cash for the latter? Is it really just a graphical user interface for the Trimforce command?

I've got two Samsung 830 SSDs in my Mac Pro along with several hard-drives (which I assume will just ignore TRIM anyway). PS: I read this page on how to enable TRIM on third party SSDs in OSX which links to an SSD blacklist page saying that those SSDs probably shouldn't have TRIM enabled as they don't support TRIM properly. Among the geeky programming code it seems like my drives are there as they list "Samsung SSD 8*". Does anyone know any more about this?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So its that simple?
"sudo trimforce enable" and if im fed up with the extreme speeds i just do... "sudo trimforce disable" ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I doubt you would ever notice "extreme speeds", just from enabling trim.
And, you won't see a sudden, noticeable slowdown, after you disable trim. Keep in mind that trim is just a housekeeping task, and not the only one that SSDs use. One result of housekeeping tasks can be preventing long-term performance degradation. There's nothing that will happen with trim that will make a noticeable change for you, except for the first boot or two after enabling for the first time, and you have been using the SSD for several months (or years) without trim.
And, some SSDs don't particularly need trim, when other routines on the SSD do a similar function - which would likely be why those few SSD models that macstatic found, don't really require trim enabled.

Reactions: zoran and chscag

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The simple answer:
If you are concerned about using trim with your SSD, and you think it might be one of those that are blacklisted by that Linux support page, then don't enable trim. Ignore trim, as it is not particularly important to most uses, anyway.
(many SSDs already do something trim-like natively)

Or, think of trim as important, and just use it regardless of other's opinions.

Your choice, in the end.

Reactions: zoran

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
That's the problem: opinions, and lots of them (no offense intended).
What are the FACTS about needing TRIM or not? Is there a definitive yes/no answer or does it depend on the specific SSD model and OS type/OS version?

I'm just a regular Mac user who wants to ensure that my SSDs will last as long as possible, work at their best and be done with it.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If you are concerned about using trim with your SSD, and you think it might be one of those that are blacklisted by that Linux support page, then don't enable trim.
Where can i see that SSD blacklist?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Where can i see that SSD blacklist?
It's the link in post #8 - again, that page.
or, here (that's the specific link to the list of SSDs. Good luck in determining which specific SSD models that list is referring to. Looks to be nearly five years old, but I could be wrong on that. That would leave it questionable if it is still relevant to this discussion, but there it is for your perusal ... )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.