Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Hi all...

I have a MacPro 12 Core (2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) Mid 2010, with 64GB RAM, 520GB SSD and
ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Attached to that computer I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (Non Thunderbolt) using the mini DV port plus a 30" Apple Cinema Display using the DVI port.

I want to upgrade to macOS Mojave (with Metal) and keep these two monitors in my workflow.. plus also, possibly gain the option of running a fully 4K monitor using HDMI.

My original research all pointed towards the Sapphire RX580, but that doesn't support the mini DV ports and it also doesn't have a boot screen.

I then came across a recommend on live chat with OWC to go with a HD 7950. It's an old card with only 3GB of video RAM. Is this too old a spec card to get me Metal compatible and squeeze another year or so out of my old MacPro until the new version arrived in late 2019..?

What would you guys recommend and advise... all comments and suggestions most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Hi there Squuiid.... thank you for your reply :)

The 27" Apple LED Cinema Display is "A1316"

The 30" Apple Cinema HD Display is "A1083"

This is the card I'm thinking of....

https://www.owcshop.eu/catalog/product_info.php/sapphire-7950-edition-p-1696

Also... another reason I'm getting the card is that my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display keeps going blackout on me from time to time... at least once a day... the 30" 30" Apple Cinema HD Display always displays fine... never flinches... so I'm thinking if I replace this graphics card and it resolves the issue... GREAT!!... if it doesn't and the new graphics card has an HDMI port and 4K monitor capability... I can buy a new monitor for an all-new working experience also.

Let me know if you need any additional info... :)

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!

Damn, that's an expensive card. If you're set on getting an HD 7950 then you'd be wiser to look at the second hand marketplaces and flash a standard PC Card with the Mac EFI.

You could also buy a RX 580 card, just keep your old card around just in case you need a boot screen, and buy some adapters from Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort (https://www.delock.de/produkte/S_65237/merkmale.html).

Reactions: crjackson2134

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
is this just to drive 3 displays? no GPU compute workflow?

if it's just to drive the 3 displays then RX 560 may be worth a look.
but the RX 560 will need some dongle's to go from display port or HDMI to dvi

but as a plus it's cheaper, less heat & less noise

for osx10.14 apple has "support" for
"Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid 2010 or mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable graphics processor, including MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 and Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/macos/mojave

a few more options here
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

also if your on a 4.1 you may need to flash it to a 5.1?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Hi there Squuiid.... thank you for your reply :)

The 27" Apple LED Cinema Display is "A1316"

The 30" Apple Cinema HD Display is "A1083"

This is the card I'm thinking of....

https://www.owcshop.eu/catalog/product_info.php/sapphire-7950-edition-p-1696

Also... another reason I'm getting the card is that my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display keeps going blackout on me from time to time... at least once a day... the 30" 30" Apple Cinema HD Display always displays fine... never flinches... so I'm thinking if I replace this graphics card and it resolves the issue... GREAT!!... if it doesn't and the new graphics card has an HDMI port and 4K monitor capability... I can buy a new monitor for an all-new working experience also.

Let me know if you need any additional info... :)
IMO the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB is the only card to go for at the moment.

The RX 580 has one DVI-DL port and then you could use a DisplayPort port with something like this for your second (A1316 LED) monitor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Video-Cable-Adapter-Black/dp/B003N3DTKY/

If it doesn't work out then at least you have a card that is the latest and greatest for the cMP and will easily drive 4K@60Hz using HDMI.

I would not buy the 7950, and definitely not at that price!

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Damn, that's an expensive card. If you're set on getting an HD 7950 then you'd be wiser to look at the second-hand marketplaces and flash a standard PC Card with the Mac EFI.

You could also buy an RX 580 card, just keep your old card around just in case you need a boot screen, and buy some adapters from Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort (https://www.delock.de/produkte/S_65237/merkmale.html).

Hi BillyBobBingo and thank you so much for your reply.

I suppose the truth is I'm not technical and confident enough to do what you suggested. Over the many years since I bought my MacPro I have only ever really upgraded the RAM inside my MacPro and added some internal drives... all easy peasy stuff... all this flashing PCI stuff... way over my head.

Suppose I'm looking for more of a plug 'n' play solution if possible. Sounds like you are thinking the RX580 is still the better device and better bang for my buck.... the boot screen I suppose I could sacrifice if I got a performance bump.

Again.. I'm not knowledgeable about these things... but would these adaptors limit the performance or reduce the capability of the card in any way..?
[doublepost=1537533767][/doublepost]
IMO the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB is the only card to go for at the moment.

The RX 580 has one DVI-DL port and then you could use a DisplayPort port with something like this for your second (A1316 LED) monitor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Video-Cable-Adapter-Black/dp/B003N3DTKY/

If it doesn't work out then at least you have a card that is the latest and greatest for the cMP and will easily drive 4K@60Hz using HDMI.

I would not buy the 7950, and definitely not at that price!

Thanks Squuiid.... I'm starting to get the feeling the RX 580 is back on the cards as it is more modern tech with my future proof I/O and with these adaptors, I should have a solution that will keep my two monitor setup as I currently have it.

Which one to get... there Nitro+ and other variations... how can I be sure I get one that is 100% MacPro (Mid 2010) compatible..?
[doublepost=1537533983][/doublepost]Would this card work..?

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?mancode=11265-05-20G&manufacturer=SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
o and for a rx 580 you will need two min 6 pin cables to plug in to it's 8 pin, most people use
two, mini 6 pin -> normal 6 pin
one, dual 6 pin -> 8 pin
8 pin in to RX580

you cant power it with just one 6 pin need both

on ebay/amazon you can get "mini 6 pin to 8 pin" cables to that will go direct too

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
o and for a rx 580 you will need two min 6 pin cables to plug in to it's 8 pin, most people use
two, mini 6 pin -> normal 6 pin
one, dual 6 pin -> 8 pin
8 pin in to RX580

you cant power it with just one 6 pin need both

on ebay/amazon you can get "mini 6 pin to 8 pin" cables to that will go direct too

Hi Orph... I'm after chatting Apple Support now also... and the confirmed that the RX580 Pulse is 100% compatible with my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010), so I have purchased that now... along with a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor.

Could I trouble you to send me direct Amazon links to the 6pin cables I need to power this new card... so I can add these my order also ? That would be a great help as I'm very new to all this.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Keep in mind the 7950 cannot do 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI. It can do 4K @ 30Hz but many people find that refresh rate unacceptably slow for a monitor.

It can do 4K @ 60Hz over displayport, but assuming you're buying or flashing to a "Mac Edition" for bootscreens then keep in mind that if you have a 4K @ 60Hz monitor connected at boot, the Mac Pro will hang. You have to disconnect the 4K monitor before booting and then reconnect once it's booted. That was my personal hell for about six months.

Agree with the others that you should get a 580. That has HDMI 2.0, so it can do 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI no problem.

The only downside is no boot screens, but with Mojave there are less reasons to need them.

EDIT: Looks like you already bought a 580. Good choice.
[doublepost=1537537434][/doublepost]This is the cable I and a few others have bought. It's not amazon so it will take a week or two to arrive but it's a well-made cable and the price is certainly good: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Dual...8-Pin-Video-Card-Power-Cable/32822042322.html

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Thank you guys... your information and contributions have been invaluable... Apple MacUsers are just the best... I have now purchased the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB... just the 6 pin power cables I need now and I have gotten the adaptor also... so this could breath new life in my MacPro for another while until the shiny MacPro 2019 arrives... :)

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Anyone recommend a cool 4K monitor that has excellent performance as well as a nice desk esthetic... I would go 27" minimum... but 32" if the price was right. I do like the 27" as faster to get my mouse hand around that size area... but 32" might be tasty also.. :)
[doublepost=1537538438][/doublepost]
Thank you guys... your information and contributions have been invaluable... Apple MacUsers are just the best... I have now purchased the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB... just the 6 pin power cables I need now and I have gotten the adaptor also... so this could breath new life in my MacPro for another while until the shiny MacPro 2019 arrives... :)

Would this be the same cable Orph ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749DQ3VX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2X8XW9X2FXY8T&psc=1
[doublepost=1537538470][/doublepost]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749DQ3VX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2X8XW9X2FXY8T&psc=1

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
cable looks good, my 580 pulse is in the post so not tried yet :p and ill be using two dual mini 6 pin to 6 pin then two 6 pins to 8 pins (as i had the cables).

what is the use case of the display?
may be best to make a new topic asking for advice with use case, budget ect listed
ie general web/word or sRGB web graphics or rec 701 video use or adobe RGB print work
and so on

4K is best 40"+
dont go small unless you relay need to with 4K displays 1440P or super wide displays are also good options
my 27" 1080p display is great i relay dont see the point of 4K at that size! text will be so so small or upscaled to the same size as a 1080P display which kind of makes you think why

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I'm using a Dell P2715Q on my cMP with an RX 580 and it's been excellent. True 4K resolution on a 27" monitor could be too small unless you have incredible vision, so you may choose to use one of the scaled "HiDPI" modes--similar to what the MacBook Pro & iMac do with their Retina displays.

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
cable looks good, my 580 pulse is in the post so not tried yet :p and ill be using two dual mini 6 pin to 6 pin then two 6 pins to 8 pins (as i had the cables).

what is the use case of the display?
may be best to make a new topic asking for advice with use case, budget ect listed
ie general web/word or sRGB web graphics or rec 701 video use or adobe RGB print work
and so on

4K is best 40"+
dont go small unless you relay need to with 4K displays 1440P or super wide displays are also good options
my 27" 1080p display is great i relay dont see the point of 4K at that size! text will be so so small or upscaled to the same size as a 1080P display which kind of makes you think why

I'm on old skoool graphic designer, so my key apps are QuarkXpress 2018, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Lightroom, Adobe Acrobat, Parallels, PLEX, PowerPoint, Word, light FCPX usage (family movies) and that's about it.

I do design large format and bespoke signage... but only really with the apps I have mentioned.

Also... another reason I'm getting the new video card is that my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display keeps going blackout on me from time to time... at least once a day... the 30" 30" Apple Cinema HD Display always displays fine... never flinches... so I'm thinking if I replace this graphics card and it resolves the issue... GREAT!!... if not... that's why a new monitor would be on the cards asap.
[doublepost=1537540144][/doublepost]
I'm using a Dell P2715Q on my cMP with an RX 580 and it's been excellent. True 4K resolution on a 27" monitor could be too small unless you have incredible vision, so you may choose to use one of the scaled "HiDPI" modes--similar to what the MacBook Pro & iMac do with their Retina displays.

Hi bookemdano, lovin that username... :)

I love my 27" Apple Cinema Display... 2560 x 1440.... everything looks great... I might stay cheap and cheerful at that level as again, this is a stop gap until the new MacPro 2019 arrives... so I will go all out on the budget on that... this is an intermediate style upgrade... to get me on Mojave and resolve my intermittent blackout problems with my 27" Apple Cinema Display.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
depends on how much you want to spend and what you want.
working in a calibrated environment?
sounds like you want sRGB or aRGB

i use/like BenQ displays, the ones i have for the cost are vary good.
my two newer ones calibrate vary well, 99% sRGB & 8 bit and where cheep so worth a look.
they also do pro displays 10 bit 100% sRGB or aRGB etc

worth a look, always good if you can to in persion try a display out or buy from a shop with a good return policy.
if you do get a defective panel dead pixels, light bleed etc (at least in the uk) it tends to be faster/easier to just return it and re buy the same model.

ultra wide's may be worth a look but do check the actual high of the panel, some are to thin for my liking

for me
1080p is fine up to around 28"
1440p is nice around same size range to tad biger
4K relay wants a larger panel, dont see the point on a small display. if you can do demo one with the software you want to use to see how it works if you do get a smaller one.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ is worth a look they do calibration tests,

Last edited:

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
depends on how much you want to spend and what you want.
working in a calibrated environment?
sounds like you want sRGB or aRGB

i use/like BenQ displays, the ones i have for the cost are vary good.
my two newer ones calibrate vary well, 99% sRGB & 8 bit and where cheep so worth a look.
they also do pro displays 10 bit 100% sRGB or aRGB etc

worth a look, always good if you can to in persion try a display out or buy from a shop with a good return policy.
if you do get a defective panel dead pixels, light bleed etc (at least in the uk) it tends to be faster/easier to just return it and re buy the same model.

ultra wide's may be worth a look but do check the actual high of the panel, some are to thin for my liking

for me
1080p is fine up to around 28"
1440p is nice around same size range to tad biger
4K relay wants a larger panel, dont see the point on a small display. if you can do demo one with the software you want to use to see how it works if you do get a smaller one.

Cheers, again Orph... you are so generous with your assistance and suggestions... I never thought of that brand... went straight to thinking of DELL...

Just had a look on their site and the specs... and this looks really nice... and competitive on pricing also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-Desig...ds=benq+pd3200q+32+inch+designer+monitor&th=1

What you think....?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
^^ iv been looking at that too, 32" will be a nice size and portrait tilt is super nice (iv seen it on sale if your not in a rush)
that panel looks good, only thing is do you work with sRGB or aRGB mostly? (i just work in sRGB 99% of the time)

with any panel/brand it relay tends to be more easy to return to the shop and re buy one to get a panel than mess around with RMA's (works for most things, best tip iv ever been given)

im not shore what country your in, pricing can relay vary.
in the uk amazon is amazing for returns if there are any problems and returns.

im using more low end panels calibrated with https://displaycal.net/ and a colormunki display
(the srgb ratings are from displaycal doing a test with the colormunki display with the display calibrated for D65 )

BenQ GC2870H 28 inch 1080p VA 8-bit (but only HDMI cables on it no display port which is a pain)
off hand i think it had an average delta E of under 2 and around 99%srgb coverage

also have a benq bl2410 24" 1080p VA 8-bit delta E avrage was not as good but close and think it is more like 96% srgb
(that one is a tad older 2014 i got it i think but still not bad)

always worth looking around at all options, eizo is still one of the most respected brands + 5 year wariness last time i looked, NEC is always worth a look & Samsung has some nice options too

the best display site is https://www.prad.de/ but there newer reviews are just in German so you have to use google translate.
but it is the best reviews, calibration always checked and in detail as well as general use

here is there look at that display
https://translate.googleusercontent...700214&usg=ALkJrhgrJUcIDddRYRTzL72S6sPHhxvczw

and list of reviews
https://translate.google.com/transl...stiger-grafik-monitor-ueberzeugt/&prev=search

ill have a look later to see what my last calibration report was

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
^^ iv been looking at that too, 32" will be a nice size and portrait tilt is super nice (iv seen it on sale if your not in a rush)
that panel looks good, only thing is do you work with sRGB or aRGB mostly? (i just work in sRGB 99% of the time)

with any panel/brand it relay tends to be more easy to return to the shop and re buy one to get a panel than mess around with RMA's (works for most things, best tip iv ever been given)

im not shore what country your in, pricing can relay vary.
in the uk amazon is amazing for returns if there are any problems and returns.

im using more low end panels calibrated with https://displaycal.net/ and a colormunki display
(the srgb ratings are from displaycal doing a test with the colormunki display with the display calibrated for D65 )

BenQ GC2870H 28 inch 1080p VA 8-bit (but only HDMI cables on it no display port which is a pain)
off hand i think it had an average delta E of under 2 and around 99%srgb coverage

also have a benq bl2410 24" 1080p VA 8-bit delta E avrage was not as good but close and think it is more like 96% srgb
(that one is a tad older 2014 i got it i think but still not bad)

always worth looking around at all options, eizo is still one of the most respected brands + 5 year wariness last time i looked, NEC is always worth a look & Samsung has some nice options too

the best display site is https://www.prad.de/ but there newer reviews are just in German so you have to use google translate.
but it is the best reviews, calibration always checked and in detail as well as general use

here is there look at that display
https://translate.googleusercontent...700214&usg=ALkJrhgrJUcIDddRYRTzL72S6sPHhxvczw

and list of reviews
https://translate.google.com/transl...stiger-grafik-monitor-ueberzeugt/&prev=search

ill have a look later to see what my last calibration report was

You are so good Orph... by the way, my name is Anthony and I live in a small town outside of Cork... near Blarney... you might have heard of "Kissing the Blarney Stone" well I live about 9KM from that. I use Amazon all the time... but avoid purchasing anything from China as a rule of thumb. I'm in no rish... if the new Video Card upgrade resolve my intermittent blackout issues with my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display... I'll be sticking with that.... but if the blackout issues persist I will buy a new monitor for sure, and this 32" BenQ is the one for sure for the price and specs.

If you were living closer I'd invite you out to the local pub and buy you a pint!! You have been so helpful... thank you very much... kinda excited now to be breathing new life into my 2010 MacPro 12 Core instead of blowing 11K or 12K on a new iMac Pro or MacPro 2019!! :) This upgrade might be all I need until it drops dead!! lol

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Hi again all.... so I have bought the Sapphire RX580 Pulse.... and it's on it's way.... but I also purchased a Display Port to Mini DV Adaptor cable... but thinking about it... that won't work with my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display... is there a cable I can get that will allow my mini DV cable go into the Display Port on the new Sapphire RX580 Pulse ?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
make shore you get the correct power cables to for the card, i dont know about the display cables tho

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Hi again all.... so I have bought the Sapphire RX580 Pulse.... and it's on it's way.... but I also purchased a Display Port to Mini DV Adaptor cable... but thinking about it... that won't work with my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display... is there a cable I can get that will allow my mini DV cable go into the Display Port on the new Sapphire RX580 Pulse ?

I don't have the 27" Cinema display, but doesn't it use miniDisplayPort? So if you bought a DisplayPort (full size connector) to miniDisplayPort cable then that should work just fine. The 580 has DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My HIS HD 7950 3 gb was excellent . . ran extremely cool & silent, used only the standard onboard 2 x 6 pin cables for power, has a bios switch, could be EFI flashed quite easily and likewise upped to 5.0 GT/s PCIe Link Width, is Metal OK so can be used with Mojave. . . . .but. . it suddenly died last week. I truly miss it but all 7950's are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Silicon doesn't age but solder does.

Running a 7970 Sapphire Dual-X now and happy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.