Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
I bought a new iPad Mini 5 in July this year as I wanted a laminated screen and already had a 1st gen pencil. Plus it was on sale.
I have been trying very hard to ignore the iPad Mini 6 as it's very attractive and part of me is annoyed I didn't wait to see what would be released.

Today my apple pencil I had since 2016 stopped working. I want to get another one along with a lightning to SD card reader so that I can use the iPad as part of my photography work flow.

I keep reading how people have been excited that Apple added USB-C to the new mini and was wondering, apart from being easier to share wires with other devices, why is USB-C better than lightning?

Is it a bad idea to reinvest in lightning accessories that may get phased out?

As I need new accessories should I sell the mini 5 and invest in the newer accessories along with upgrading to the Mini 6?

Or is it safe to buy a new pencil 1 as it can always be sold to base iPad owners in the future?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The one thing I really prefer about USB-C is just the huge array of options for cables and connectors

That said, I have nothing USB-C other than my beats fit pro so far.

For me the benefits are largely theoretical at this point

I just wish we could standardize on one thing across Apple

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I regularly connect it to cheap USB-C dongle (HDMI, mSD card reader) or portable SSD. You also don’t have to rely on pricey certified Lighting cables, plenty of cheaper and quality 3rd party USB-C cables around. Couldn’t imagine iPad without USB-C nowadays. Disadvantage: Apple still sells iPhones and Airpods with Lighting, you’re stuck with two cable situation. I wouldn’t voluntarily charge my devices wirelessly. Apple has to made them wireless only first, and I know I’ll hate it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have the following flash drive:

Ever since I reformatted to NTFS (read-only mode on iPad) instead of exFAT, I'm finding it super convenient to copy media to the flash drive on my Windows PC (some USB-A only) and transfer to view on the iPad (USB-C).

I hate having cables/adapters dangling plus the Lightning to USB3 adapter frequently needed to be plugged into power to work. With USB-C, external devices can be self-contained no other accessories or cables required. On Lightning iPads, the only accessories I used were Bluetooth-based because Lightning-based acces were a big hassle. With USB-C, connecting flash drives, card readers, etc. is so much easier.

Cassr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
So I wouldn't be able to plug in a hard drive to the Mini 5, even if I bought a lightning to USB?
In which case what would be the best/ easiest way to transfer some edited photos onto my windows desktop?
Is it better to do via cloud storage?

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
USB-C's advantage over Lightning
  • When borrowing an Android user's charger odds are it's USB-C
  • USB-C dongles that are compatible with Macs & iPads will work with the iPhone
  • Data throughput is faster than Lightning's 480Mbps
Lightning's advantage over USB-C
  • When buying a licensed cable or peripheral you're somewhat assured of health & safety & build quality
  • USB-C cables do not enjoy this perk

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So I wouldn't be able to plug in a hard drive to the Mini 5, even if I bought a lightning to USB?

You can but you'll likely need to plug it in to power as well.

In which case what would be the best/ easiest way to transfer some edited photos onto my windows desktop?

I still don't trust iOS for writing to USB. Whenever I need to transfer to/from Windows, I've always just used Dropbox.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It's all about been said. Basically, I think the ongoing call for Lightning is only because Apple still uses it. As soon as they drop it, the crowd will quickly flip... as they did with the 30-pin connector... and Firewire before that. The rationalizations against changing are the same as they were for 30-pin and Firewire too: investments in other stuff that depend on Lightning, I already have..., etc. (adapters will solve this "problem" just as it did for 30-pin).

USB-C is probably mostly about carrying one less cable, having very easy access to a cable that will work, being able to use 1 cable to do many things, etc. It's kind of like putting certain ports back into a MBPro. Yes, those ports were available with dongles but who really wants to carry extra stuff? Leave the dongles and one-use cables at home.

I have Lightning on one iPad and USB-C on another. In everyday use, I can't tell any difference between the two. But when I travel I can now leave one of them behind and one, one-use cable behind too.

Lastly, one is an industry standard and the other is Apple proprietary. Generally standards = competition = lower prices while proprietary means higher prices. Yes, the former can result in junk options but the smart shopper can filter through the junk to find the good ones.

It's only a matter of time with Lightning. Apple has proven again and again (Firewire to Thunderbolt, 30-pin to Lightning to USB-C) that they will abandon their own proprietary jacks whenever they feel like it. The bulk of fan opinions flip as soon as Apple chooses to do so.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
USB C - the only reason why I like it is because it seems like every device I use today (from my mouse, to my keyboard, to my hard drives) utilizes USB C. Having the same connector on all is great.

What I don't like about USB C is that it wears out over time (at least on my MacBooks) - making it loose.

I prefer lightning but don't like that it can't handle USB C docks and multiple devices. I love that I can use my M1 iPad 11 Pro as a mini-laptop with a mouse/keyboard/monitor/ and power all in 1 port.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
As others said you might be able to, but it will likely need a separate power source.

I had very infrequent success using various Lightning-based connections to get photos on my iPads - Lightning SD card reader, Lighting USB adapter with USB SD card reader, Lighting USB adapter directly to camera, nothing really worked well for me - but I have had absolutely no issues with USB C on my current iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.