Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
It's probably a similar difference as comparing charging a phone with a cable using a 5w charging brick vs a fast charger. You'll get a lot of anecdotal responses and opinions whether it has a noticeable impact on battery health over the life of a phone.

Also wireless charging can potentially generate more heat which is supposed to be worse on a battery.

My experience on my 2 year XS max where I've only ever charged it using QI and wired fast charging and now the battery health just got to 90%.

The MagSafe could possibly produce more heat (though it doesn't charge at a constant 15w). Whether that has a noticeable impact I'm not sure but based on my past charging experience I'm not going to worry about it and charge however it's most convenient.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Magsafe without external convection cooling is definitely worse for battery than wired. If you blow a USB fan throughout the phone and the magsafe, it will stay at room temp thus just as battery friendly as wired

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Wireless charging in general generates more heat, if it's true that more heat = more battery wear, than yes, it is worse.

I did notice on my last years iPhone 11 PM, the battery health dropped faster than any iPhone before that and I only used wireless charging. But this might be just a coincidence.

But on the other hand, laptop batteries charge at 60w+ and get very hot with no apparent issues.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
The way I see it - if you have AppleCare and using MagSafe, you're kinda hoping for the battery to die out badly by the end of 2 years. The only way you lose if you end up around the low 80s on battery health by the time everything expires.

I find myself more willing to gamble on the battery health and doing something more routine like battery replacement, then something worse like the lightning port getting damaged and having a hard time charging (already done that twice).

Reactions: macher

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Lower charge rate does not necessarily mean easier on the battery. Every battery can accept a charge current that isn't detrimental yet not miniscule. Charging at a rate lower than "ideal" only accomplishes one thing — wasted time.

Whether the MagSafe charger is slightly detrimental to the battery — only Aplle engineers know

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you are going to keep your phone for more than a year and aren’t interested in paying Apple for a battery replacement, charging with MagSafe will wear your battery faster than using a 5w brick or a 7.5w Qi charger.

Yet the amount of additional wear we can only guess. Battery life doesn’t degrade proportionally with the charge going into the device.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
If you are going to keep your phone for more than a year and aren’t interested in paying Apple for a battery replacement, charging with MagSafe will wear your battery faster than using a 5w brick or a 7.5w Qi charger.

It’s not even significant enough wear though that’s what people don’t get.

It’s perfectly fine to use MagSafe and a 20w. Like others have said it doesn’t charge at a constant wattage.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
To sum up: wireless charging puts a larger strain on the battery because the battery is actively being used 100% of the time.

This is not an anecdote nor a theory about heat. This is actually how it works.

Sure that can all be fact, but would most people experience much difference over the time they own a phone? That’s the better question.

I’ve wirelessly charged an XS Max wirelessly daily for just over 2 years. Battery health is at 90%. My kids have phones of a similar age only charged using cables, similar battery health.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
What I can say from personal experience, my devices' batteries don't wear out that fast. My 15 months old 11 is at 98%. And I have always gotten similar results since Apple introduced Battery Health stat. I almost exclusively charge it via 5W charger, but if a fast charge is needed, I charge it with my 10W iPad charger. I don't use my phone much when charging either.

The opposite happened with my MacBook. Around 1 year later it already was down to 90%. And what I realized then is that I use my MacBook almost exlucisvely all the time when charging, randomly it just sits down when being charged.

My guess is the worst for the battery is heat and so I guess wireless charging and using you phone during charging in general would have the worst impact. And of course there will be a difference between a 20-30W and 5W charge in heat too. That is why I like the old 10W iPad charger. Much faster than 5W and perfect for me but not as fast as a 20-30W charger which I rarely need anyway. I have a new 20W charger here, just in case I really need fast charging, but otherwise 5W and 10W charger is perfect. And don't use your iPhone very often while charging.

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Yes and here is why.

When you use a wireless charger all of the energy goes “through the battery” to either be charged or to power the phone while plugged in.

When you use a lightning cable, energy goes to the battery only when charging. Otherwise energy bypasses the battery and goes to the phone internals.

To sum up: wireless charging puts a larger strain on the battery because the battery is actively being used 100% of the time.

This is not an anecdote nor a theory about heat. This is actually how it works.
I don't believe that but even if true, irrelevant. Only matters once the battery reaches 100% and is continuing to be used while on the charger. Who does that?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
I don't believe that but even if true, irrelevant. Only matters once the battery reaches 100% and is continuing to be used while on the charger. Who does that?
You’re right. I was wrong, my information has since been disproven after looking it up again.

But you’re showing your age saying, “omg, who does that”. It isn’t wise to assume everyone does things the way you do. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think people use their phone on the charger after it’s charged. Maybe they want it to be at 100% when they take it off?

PhatRS

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
I use my phone constantly while it's charged because I'm a developer making iPhone apps.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Good luck on any wireless chargers. Watch your battery health drain 10% a year instead of like 2 to 3%.
I use a 7.5w QI charger for my iPhone mini. I don’t believe i will see a health drain of 10% a year from that, seeing how that is not a big increase in watts from the traditional power brick. The phone doesn’t get very warm at all and I remove it as soon as it hits 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Good luck on any wireless chargers. Watch your battery health drain 10% a year instead of like 2 to 3%.

Launch day XS Max charged every night on a wireless charger. Looks like I lost about 4.5% each year, not nearly 10% per year:

4ea41098fbbec849f28fe50cb9a44e3e.jpg

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

More than three years of random charging with wireless, 12 and 30w chargers leaves me with 87%. Should be way below 70% with your formula but certainly goes to show how good battery tech has become.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I use a 7.5w QI charger for my iPhone mini. I don’t believe i will see a health drain of 10% a year from that, seeing how that is not a big increase in watts from the traditional power brick. The phone doesn’t get very warm at all and I remove it as soon as it hits 100%.

Of course not.

CosmicRichy

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Australia
Sorry for the bump but I found this thread via a google search.

I’ve never charged via lightning and have only used MagSafe on my iPhone 13 Pro Max since my purchase last November. I’ve just notice that my battery health is 95%. To say I’m a bit disappointed is an understatement. I might ditch MagSafe altogether now if it’s going to chew away at the health like this.

My phone rarely gets below 20% and I hardly use it while it’s charging.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Sorry for the bump but I found this thread via a google search.

I’ve never charged via lightning and have only used MagSafe on my iPhone 13 Pro Max since my purchase last November. I’ve just notice that my battery health is 95%. To say I’m a bit disappointed is an understatement. I might ditch MagSafe altogether now if it’s going to chew away at the health like this.

My phone rarely gets below 20% and I hardly use it while it’s charging.

95% health after almost a year isn’t bad at all. Doubt the wireless charging accelerated that. My launch day 13 pro max was at 91% and I rarely charged it wirelessly. Batteries just degrade with use. The battery health has more to do with how many charge cycles have been done on a battery. If you use the phone a lot and requires charging you just can’t get around that it will begin to degrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.