Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
If you buy iPhone 12 mini Verizon from ebay is it unlockable to be used with AT&T?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Verizon has an unlocking policy of 60 days I believe so in theory it should be fine but can’t confirm.
Yes 60 days from activating with a VZW SIM, but has this already been activated in the past for 60 days already? As long as you don't activate another VZW SIM, you should be able to put in the AT&T SIM and be good.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you buy iPhone 12 mini Verizon from ebay

if you buy from ebay (not a great idea) and it is locked can someone who was not the original owner ask for an unlock from Verizon?

There is a lot of risk buying a phone on ebay.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I would not buy it from eBay, however, I will attest saying that I got my best friend to move over to AT&T with me on my account, and so far, the Verizon one works fine. As long as you had an account for at least 60 days, it automatically unlocks on Day # 61.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
If the phone is unlocked and for sale on ebay then there shouldn't be a problem using a former Verizon locked phone on ATT network. The only difference between the older Verizon phones and ATT is that the former had CDMA and GSM capabilities, wherease ATT is just GSM. CDMA is coming to an end at the end of the year.

If one buys a phone on eBay and it is locked to the iCloud one can only get it unlocked ethically if the person with the iCloud account initiates an unlock. If the phone is locked to a carrier, the carriers have criteria that need to be met in order for the phone to be unlocked. You can find those criteria at the carrier's websites.

If a phone has been reported stolen or if the previous owner has not paid for the phone completely or is behind in their account payments, then unlocking is a no-go.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If the phone is unlocked and for sale on ebay then there shouldn't be a problem using a former Verizon locked phone on ATT network. The only difference between the older Verizon phones and ATT is that the former had CDMA and GSM capabilities, wherease ATT is just GSM. CDMA is coming to an end at the end of the year.

If one buys a phone on eBay and it is locked to the iCloud one can only get it unlocked ethically if the person with the iCloud account initiates an unlock. If the phone is locked to a carrier, the carriers have criteria that need to be met in order for the phone to be unlocked. You can find those criteria at the carrier's websites.

If a phone has been reported stolen or if the previous owner has not paid for the phone completely or is behind in their account payments, then unlocking is a no-go.
From what I gather, AT&T doesn't lock a phone for missed payments, and a Verizon phone can be used on every other carrier other than Verizon after the 60 day clock is up. That being said, iCloud locks are a larger possibility that is nearly impossible to dig yourself out of, and this risk makes eBay/Craigslist purchases not worth it.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
ATT may not lock a phone for missed payments, but if the phone is locked, they won't unlock it if the account is not lup to date.

This is from the ATT website: to unlock personal phone your device:
  • Is an AT&T phone or device and isn’t active on another AT&T account.
  • Was paid in full when you bought it (not on an installment plan). You won’t have to wait 60 days to unlock it.
  • Has a paid-off installment plan.
    • Paid through your monthly bill: Submit your unlock request at the start of your next bill period.
    • Paid off early: The wireless number assigned to the device must be active for at least 60 days. Wait 48 hours after you make your final payment to submit your unlock request. Learn how pay off your installment plan.
  • Doesn’t have a past-due account balance. Make a payment to bring your account current. It will take 24 hours for your payment to post.
  • Hasn’t been reported as lost, stolen, or involved with fraud.
  • Is an AT&T PREPAIDSM phone that has had paid service for at least six months.
Verizon--prepaid and postpaid service-- Devices that you purchase from Verizon are locked for 60 days after purchase. Devices that you purchase from one of our authorized retailers are locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock unless the device is deemed stolen or purchased fraudulently. Following the 60 day lock period, we do not lock our phones at any time.

Looks like Verizon makes things a bit easier on the consumer. Up until a few years ago Verizon phones were not locked to the Verizon network--apparently they had some issues with misappropriated phones so they instituted the 60 day wait time.

The larger issue is when the ebay/craigslist/offer up seller says it is Verizon (or ATT or T-mobile or Xfinity/etc) locked one wonders why they didn't bother to unlock the phone. Seems that they could get more money selling an unlocked phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
From what I gather, AT&T doesn't lock a phone for missed payments…
I'm struggling to make sense of this statement.

If you bring an unlocked phone to a carrier then the carrier 'locking' the phone because of missed payments is not possible.

If you buy a phone from your carrier the device is locked to the carrier. Why would locking the phone due to missed payments change anything? It's already locked.

If you bring a phone that is locked to your carrier, to your carrier, why would this make any difference? Again, the phone is already locked.

If you buy a phone under Apple's upgrade policy the phone is unlocked. The carrier locking it due to missed payments is not possible (no idea if Apple would, but it would be possible for them to if they wanted).

If you buy a phone from Apple that is for your carrier and make payments to your carrier for the phone, the phone is locked to your carrier.

In short, a locked phone can't be locked as its already locked. And an unlocked phone cannot be locked or relocked because you can't do that to an unlocked phone.

Perhaps you meant something else by this? Blacklisted perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.