Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Yes, there is a problem. We're not talking about waiting for an update that might happen in 3 or 4 months. This is something that's coming out in the next two weeks, and unless if someone really needs it in the next two weeks, they could save a good buck by waiting.

Because of the imminent price drops on existing MBPs as soon as the Merom MBPs are released (this will happen, regardless of how few improvements are made) not waiting is effectively tossing about $100 into a black hole. If I didn't care about Merom, I can just wait two weeks, see if the Rev B MBPs have anything I want - if they don't have a new GPU, I'll just go with a Rev A. And if I go that route, I'll get it at least $100 cheaper that day than if I went ahead with the purchase today.

The merom MBP's may be "coming out" in the next few weeks, but we will have to wait and see how long it takes for them to actually SHIP when they are announced. Sure, apple may have them in stock and ready to ship! when they do announce, but after EVERYONE waiting orders there new mrom MBP, how long are you gonna have to wait to get yours..unless your lucky enough to be one of the people who place the first orders...

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
viccles said:
I think after all this discussion it still basically comes down to the same golden rule. If you need your computer now buy now. If you can wait then wait. I think its a good way to think and go about your decision making

Technically, 90% of people "can wait" - for the majority of consumer uses, machines like the iBooks and Powerbooks are plenty good. The question is how long to wait, for those who can. I'm not questioning the logic behind waiting or not waiting if say, you need a computer asap for school.

While it's true that everyone "gets screwed over" eventually, why not get screwed less? Things like resale value do count, even if your machine still "works." If the wait were uncertain and a month or two long, I'd agree with you - but this wait isn't even going to be two weeks, and it's a certainty that we're going to see an update.

Is getting your computer a week and a half early really worth a hundred dollars? Are you willing to risk portentially not having a magnetic latch, maybe not getting a better GPU, maybe not getting easily replaceable hard drives, and the guarantee of a faster processor and higher resale value... just because you want your computer a week and a half sooner? It's just common sense to wait unless if you have some sort of dire need and can't make do for the next week and a half on your old computer.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ZoomZoomZoom said:
It's just common sense to wait unless if you have some sort of dire need and can't make do for the next week and a half on your old computer.

So true, some of these posts are from people (ie: wannabe "pros") who go "OMG, I need to encode a small video for an assignment! I must have the latest Macbook Pro!"

Learn to make do people, else you will just end up regretting it like the OP.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
MacBook Merom

Macbooks in the US and UK are currently taking seven days to ship, while the MBP takes 24hrs - is this a sign that there is going to be an update to this at the same time (or even before the MBP) to Core 2 Duo?:eek:

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
I'm waiting on the update of the Macbook (regular) in hopes that the Rev A bugs are worked out. I could care less about the small speed increase of the Merom but I don't want to worry about my case yellowing or random shutdowns...

georgep

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
Switzerland
It's not speed, it's heat!

Merom chips are more efficient and run cooler. Given the heat problems with the MacBook and MacBook Pro, it is definitely worth waiting if you don't like working with a toaster in your lap. You should also get better battery life.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
georgep said:
Merom chips are more efficient and run cooler. Given the heat problems with the MacBook and MacBook Pro, it is definitely worth waiting if you don't like working with a toaster in your lap. You should also get better battery life.

I don't know if they are actually cooler or not but there are other ways to cool down the MB/MBPs like adding more vents, playing with the heat sync, making them slightly thicker (shudder), rearranging the internals etc...Core Duo notebooks are hot for sure but these heat realated problems are unacceptable to me.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
a456 said:
Macbooks in the US and UK are currently taking seven days to ship, while the MBP takes 24hrs - is this a sign that there is going to be an update to this at the same time (or even before the MBP) to Core 2 Duo?:eek:

More a sign of high demand, many students are buying the MB at this time of the year, since the MBP is generally targetted at a different audience I'd expect sales of MBPs to slow down.

Since Apple is barely keeping up with demand for the MBs it is actually rather dumb of them to refresh that line now, most likely they'd just refresh the stagnating MBP line first then update the MBs as they too, stagnate.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Rokem said:
good gosh the recent updates scared me. the mini updates are kinda stupid just put some old tiny mobile gpu in it.

What for? Intel's integrated graphics is fairly decent for what it does, since it is not like you are going to game in huge style with a slow x300 chip might as well just make do with IIG, at least it saves Apple a few dollars off the price of each unit!

Would you rather pay a few dollars + few thousand % markup just to have a slow gpu that makes no difference for 99% of what a user does? Would you?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
See, I've been debating buying a MacBook (Pro) since they came out. But I've waited. I'm finally to the point now where I really need a laptop soon, and I'd prefer the MBP for the larger screen, but I don't know if I should wait or not.

I need to run Windows (I need to run Visual Studio 2005, which isn't fun on my old Compaq laptop), and I assume I'll do it through Parallel.

The thing is, since I'm a student, I get the free iPod, which I was going to buy anyway. So... assuming they don't release the Merom next week should I wait? I get $200 off the iPod if I buy them both before September 16...

So, should I wait for merom?

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
richard4339 said:
See, I've been debating buying a MacBook (Pro) since they came out. But I've waited. I'm finally to the point now where I really need a laptop soon, and I'd prefer the MBP for the larger screen, but I don't know if I should wait or not.

I need to run Windows (I need to run Visual Studio 2005, which isn't fun on my old Compaq laptop), and I assume I'll do it through Parallel.

The thing is, since I'm a student, I get the free iPod, which I was going to buy anyway. So... assuming they don't release the Merom next week should I wait? I get $200 off the iPod if I buy them both before September 16...

I was going to suggest waiting until the last day, or at least September 12. (I'm assuming that you are able to wait a little bit longer.) If they don't release new MBPs in about a week, and if you do need it, then you'll just have to make do with a Rev A.

Word of caution though: the free nano might not come with new MBPs. I don't know for sure, but the new iMacs aren't eligible for the free nano.

If you're planning to save money, you can do what I might do with the MBP:

Edu MBP 17'' = $2600. Actually about $2400 if you sell the nano/printer.
ADC store MBP 17'' = $2230. $2430 after you factor in membership cost.

But with ADC you'll get Leopard for free, so that's $70 in savings. And lower MBP price means some savings in terms of tax. So going through ADC the cost is about $50 cheaper. Not too much, but considering that it's 1/4th the price of an iPod nano, and because you can wait after September 16 if you want, it's worth looking into.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm starting to think so, I'm tempted to go out and buy today because even if they announce it tomorrow it'll still be a few more weeks before any stores in Canada have them in stock.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I feel stupider asking this, but I'm not honestly sure what ADC is =/

What you just said is what I was planning on anyway; if they announce it before September 16, buy it then. If not, on September 16th, I'll buy one anyway.

On a side note, from what I've read, you can use any compatible ram in a MBP can't you, not just the exhorbitantly priced Apple ram, correct?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I hadn't even checked on that. I checked the education store and the government store (since I'm eligible for both). I'll look into it too.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Rokem said:
The chips are only 10% faster in most cases, except for the super high end make you poor model, and the 64bitness. 99% of computer users don't even need 64bit right? it just lets you have more memory which in a laptop is pretty stupid imho.

also wating for this and that will allways keep you waiting for the next big thing.

anyone whish to comment on my thinking style? correct me if im wrong.

ps. i just bought a mbp and am slightly worried by what i read in some threads.

What are you worried about? Why are you worried?

I think waiting is worth it from my standpoint, which doesn't fit into your thinking. At least you didn't clarify timeframe from upgrade to upgrade for consumers. I haven't bought a new computer in over three years. It's time for me to get a new one. I want to get a MBP, but since I've waited this long between computers, I don't mind waiting a little (or more) longer when a potential update to the product line is probably fairly close.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
richard4339 said:

Keep in mind that the new iMacs do not qualify for the free iPod offer. It might follow that when merom MBP's are released, if before the 16th, they also will not be eligible for the free iPod offer. Once they intro the C2D MBP's on the site, you probably won't be able to order the older yonah models that did qualify for the free iPod. When Apple upgrades a product on their website, they generally don't offer the previous version anymore. Apple stores will for awhile, but I'm not sure if you get the offer by going to an apple store. It may only be on the website.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
jesteraver said:
Any date set for Merom in Mac Book?
it was released the past tuesday, didn't you see the update?

question like this should be banned immediately upon posting.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Yes, there is a problem. We're not talking about waiting for an update that might happen in 3 or 4 months. This is something that's coming out in the next two weeks, and unless if someone really needs it in the next two weeks, they could save a good buck by waiting.

Because of the imminent price drops on existing MBPs as soon as the Merom MBPs are released (this will happen, regardless of how few improvements are made) not waiting is effectively tossing about $100 into a black hole. If I didn't care about Merom, I can just wait two weeks, see if the Rev B MBPs have anything I want - if they don't have a new GPU, I'll just go with a Rev A. And if I go that route, I'll get it at least $100 cheaper that day than if I went ahead with the purchase today.

arent we way pass rev. B? or would merom reset the rev numbers?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
HecubusPro said:
Keep in mind that the new iMacs do not qualify for the free iPod offer. It might follow that when merom MBP's are released, if before the 16th, they also will not be eligible for the free iPod offer. Once they intro the C2D MBP's on the site, you probably won't be able to order the older yonah models that did qualify for the free iPod. When Apple upgrades a product on their website, they generally don't offer the previous version anymore. Apple stores will for awhile, but I'm not sure if you get the offer by going to an apple store. It may only be on the website.

You know, that is an extremely valid point. The only reason I'm wanting to wait is the new chip (everything else I really want is already part of the MBP, while easier HDD replacement and a magnetic latch are things I'd like, they're not neccessary). I'm driving to an Apple Store tomorrow (none in town), and I'll purchase it afterwards.

Spartacus

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
richard4339 said:
You know, that is an extremely valid point. The only reason I'm wanting to wait is the new chip (everything else I really want is already part of the MBP, while easier HDD replacement and a magnetic latch are things I'd like, they're not neccessary). I'm driving to an Apple Store tomorrow (none in town), and I'll purchase it afterwards.

Buy the computer and the Nano before September 12th and don't open the box. Upon seeing what's released next week evaluate whether or not the computer and Nano you purchased is worth keeping at the price you paid compared to what is then available. You have 14 day's to return the computer for 100% money back assuming it is not opened. That's what I'm doing!

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Here's a question; if I place the order Sunday, and they announce the new line Tuesday, since it probably would not have shipped yet, would they upgrade me for free?

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
if (youNeedAMachine && timeNeeded.equals("now")) {
purchaseFromApple(machineWanted,$$$);​
}
else {
readMacRumors();​
}
beHappy();

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.