Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I normally use windows and use VSCode. Just wondering if i need to use Xcode in order to create ios/macos/ipados/watchos apps? Or can I use VSCode for these?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You can use VSCode, but you should install Xcode regardless of what development environment you desire using. For one thing, Xcode comes with the SDKs. These can be installed separately through a command line tool, Xcode-select --install, which will just install the build tools off of Xcode. However, Xcode also comes with Simulators so you can test your iOS apps, tvOS, watchOS apps on your Mac. Without the Simulators from Xcode you can only run the Mac apps, not iOS code. Xcode also includes the necessary utilities to push the app you develop to a real device and a nice documentation viewer for Apple's frameworks, as well as Instruments for analysing your app, tools to analyse usage data from App Store reports and more. In short, Xcode is not just the IDE, but a whole suite of utilities many of which are universally recommended regardless of which editor/IDE you choose to use

Reactions: Wizec and wirtandi

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
iOS, iPadOS, and watchOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with Xcode, otherwise apps distributed via the Mac App Store must be packaged and submitted using technologies provided in Xcode. Other toolchains can be used, you would just need to make sure the APIs meet App Store requirements.

Reactions: wirtandi

riccinini

Suspended
Sep 14, 2022

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I normally use windows and use VSCode. Just wondering if i need to use Xcode in order to create ios/macos/ipados/watchos apps? Or can I use VSCode for these?
Yes you should use Xcode. I do also use AppCode from Jetbrains, in part because I also use other Jetbrains IDEs like Pycharm or IntelliJ IDEA.

I don't really get the appeal of VSCode. On Windows I use the real Visual Studio and various Jetbrains IDEs. On MacOS I use Xcode and various Jetbrains IDEs. On Linux I just use Jetbrains IDEs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.