Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Reasons to get a new phone:
#1 I just want something new almost every year.
#2 I'm very annoyed by the motion blur when scrolling. Since this only occurs with OLED, getting the 11 Pro (Max) won't make it go away.

#2 sort of leaves only the 11 as an option.
However, this results in both a thicker phone (which I don't like), as well as much larger bezels (which I definitely don't like).

So this begs the question, what are some advantages of 11 over the XS? The new CPU is definitely something I won't notice.
• Is the camera better?
• I heard that the Face ID is better, is this all 11 models or only the Pro models? Is it due to better front camera (does 11 have that too?), or just due to faster CPU?
• Anything else?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
faceid is better from ios13 not from new faceid. u'll see that on ios13 when u upgrade. the camera is the same, ur sacrificing 2x zoom in for 2x zoom out, except the 2x zoom out results in horrible quality unlike zoom in

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
faceid is better from ios13 not from new faceid. u'll see that on ios13 when u upgrade. the camera is the same, ur sacrificing 2x zoom in for 2x zoom out, except the 2x zoom out results in horrible quality unlike zoom in

Idk if this is true. They said they did add a newer and bigger Face ID sensor. Works at better angles. They did say iOS 13 will make Face ID faster but then I think it’s even faster on the iPhone 11, 11pro, and 11 pro max if I’m not mistaken.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
• Is the camera better?
• I heard that the Face ID is better, is this all 11 models or only the Pro models? Is it due to better front camera (does 11 have that too?), or just due to faster CPU?
• Anything else?

Camera sensor has better pixels for night shots.

Face ID laser is more powerful this year for better outdoor performance. Angle is better. This applies to all 11 models.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I'm doing the same, moving from XS to 11. To me it feels like an upgrade since I'm not bothered about OLED->LCD, the iPhone XR received good reviews about it's screen. About the telephoto lens I hardly used it with my XS.

On the other hand, night mode, front camera upgraded to 12MP, A13 chip, ultra wide lens which I will definitely use.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
No you are not, judging purely on the currently available information and educated guesses.

As a matter of fact, should all those things came to be true, I would actually suggest everyone, from everything to even if you have an XS from last year to upgrade to at least 11. The iPhone 11 is better than XS in almost every way, that if you the 2nd hand price were good you would be getting a free upgrade.

Things that are better on 11.

A13 - Every part of the SoC has been improved. While nothing particularly new or revolutionary, it is the most refined and optimised SoC Apple has ever made.

Camera - I think the Camera is pretty much the same and you are swapping XS' Tele Photos lens to Super Wide Lens, to most people that is actually an upgrade. And you get Night Mode, You WANT a Camera with Night Mode in 2019. It is God damn useful.

Storage - You get the option of 128GB, which for most people is the absolute sweet spot.

Connection - You get better reception from a further tuned 2x2 MIMO on 11, compared to the 4x4 MIMO which is great on paper but not so in real world first gen product. Also improvement in newer Intel 7660 Modem, rather than the 7560 Modem. While it is likely won't be as good as Qualcomm, you can be sure it will only be better than Intel's first 14nm Modem. There is also WiFi 6 or 802.11ax, another upgrade from XS's 802.11ac. And most importantly, U1 Chip, I think it will be a gamer changer.

FaceID - We are not too sure if working in wider angle is available on iPhone 11 as well, if so it will be another upgrade from XS.

Battery - You also get better battery life, whether that is from XS, XS Max, or XR.

Sound - Dolby Atmos, along with rumoured improved speakers. ( We will need iFixit teardown to find out )

Basically you are getting a better than last year XS iPhone for $300 dollar cheaper this year. I don't ever record Apple has done this in the life cycle of iPhone. Even though we kind of knew all of these, there was even a MacRumours thread a few months ago asking the same question, actually witnessing this is unreal, iPhone 11 offer so much bang for buck, I keep thinking I must be missing something.

In all previous years, $649 / $699 is the iPhone 6/7/8 starting price, and they only come with single camera, the real flagship camera comes in with Plus Model at $749 / $799 price category. This year you are getting most of the Flagship features for $699.

Last edited:

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Feb 22, 2015
I’m still debating getting the 11 Pro Max.

If I can get a good trade in value on my 256gb Xs Max, then that will make my decision even easier to get it.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
faceid is better from ios13 not from new faceid. u'll see that on ios13 when u upgrade.

Not true. iOS 13 improves Face ID on it's own, but the Face ID hardware is improved in the 11/pro as well. Better angles & distances, etc.

Reactions: newellj

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Not true. iOS 13 improves Face ID on it's own, but the Face ID hardware is improved in the 11/pro as well. Better angles & distances, etc.

Are we sure that came true? Reports here (I didn't watch the keynote) are that Apple didn't exactly announce FaceID like it was FaceID 2.0 like they did with TouchID - they really just kind of glossed over it and didn't really spend any time discussing it; I'd think if they updated the hardware they would've made a big deal about it?

Reactions: justperry

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I don't think you're crazy - I'm doing the same thing, XS to 11. I sort of want a bigger screen, but not quite as big as the Max. I'm also interested in better battery life. Camera and LCD/OLED screens don't make that much of a difference to me - as long as I've got a camera that takes good pictures when I want without too much effort on my part and the screen seems nice I'm going to be pretty happy. I'm sure someone can tell me all about why OLED is better than LCD and it probably is in many respects, it's just not something I'm going to notice other than in a side by side comparison with someone walking me through all the differences. As @ksec detailed above, there really isn't much in the 11 that you're getting that won't be an improvement over the 11. So, I think it really just comes down to what you value in a phone. If I had no interest in a larger screen and better battery life, I'd probably stick with my XS for another year.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Are we sure that came true? Reports here (I didn't watch the keynote) are that Apple didn't exactly announce FaceID like it was FaceID 2.0 like they did with TouchID - they really just kind of glossed over it and didn't really spend any time discussing it; I'd think if they updated the hardware they would've made a big deal about it?

Yes - it's true. Apple glossed over a lot of stuff in the keynote but the website has all of the details. See the press releases I linked below.

• Face ID, the most secure facial authentication in a smartphone, gets up to 30 percent faster and easier to use with improved performance at varying distances and support for more angles.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019...x-the-most-powerful-and-advanced-smartphones/

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-introduces-dual-camera-iphone-11/

funeralweather

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
I’m going from XS to 11pro mostly because I am not impressed with the XS design or camera, and I love the matte back on the pro. It really is up to you, and what you want. I’m very excited about the ultra wide lens. Also, I’m not sure why people hate the 11pro so much; I think it looks very nice.

Reactions: borntrouble

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you like night mode then yeah...overall i would say it’s not crazy. Both great options.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm probably going to the iPhone 11 from the iPhone XS Max... Get one in your hands and see if you like it. It's your phone so it should be a choice to please you.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
iPhone IPS LCD screens are excellent and at the top of there technology!

You can only see a difference in photos.

If someone takes a pic of a XR beside a XS Max. But in person I think the LCD is incredible

Reactions: russell_314

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I am doing this (XS - 11) and was also "concerned". Played in the Apple Store between my XS and the XR (as the 11 is not on display yet) and could see very little, if any, noticeable difference - played mainly with Maps and Photos. Obviously I could not compare the exact same photos, but tried to pick similar ones from my library and what they had on the sample phones. I don't think the "difference" is that significant at least to my eyes - but everyone is different.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I am doing this (XS - 11) and was also "concerned". Played in the Apple Store between my XS and the XR (as the 11 is not on display yet) and could see very little, if any, noticeable difference - played mainly with Maps and Photos. Obviously I could not compare the exact same photos, but tried to pick similar ones from my library and what they had on the sample phones. I don't think the "difference" is that significant at least to my eyes - but everyone is different.
This is true. I have pretty good vision close up but everyone has different eyes so what someone else sees could be different than what I see. This is why I'm going to put hands on both phones this time instead of going by what others say. Apple said the 11 Pro screen is improved over last year's model while I think the 11 is still the same XR screen. To me what matters is what I see on the phone because I'm the only one that's going to be using it. If the difference is barely perceptible I'm not going to pay an extra $300 - $400 unless I fall in love with the Pro camera or something.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I'm pretty confident with my move to the 11 from the XS. I went with yellow as I thought for once I should move away from the classical black.

Either way it's a phone and if the color doesn't suit me I will just put it in a non transparent case.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This is what the Apple website says:

Face ID is now up to 30 percent faster. It works from farther away. At more angles, too.

At the very least, "more angles" seems to imply new hardware, and "farther away" probably does, too. I don't think this could just be an iOS 13 tweak.

But you got me wondering how that was handled at the keynote presentation for the 6S. Turns out they did mention it on stage, but it got literally 10 seconds of airtime. I don't know what that tells us - maybe Apple is a little shy about looking like the FaceID critics were right? Dunno.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.