Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guccirush007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
HI,

My issue is this... I have AIM/AOL and I am able to see myself on webcam.. however noone else can unless they HAVE a webcam... My first question is- "DO you have to have a WEBCAM on both ends for both people to see you?" Does the person I am chatting with HAVE to have a webcam to see me? If so WHY? They should atleast be able to see ME if I want them to... Also if they are using windows for PC platform... can they use a pc webcam and still connect with me through my isight although I am on a mac?

My second major ISSUE is.. WHY is the isight only compatible with AOL/AIM? I was told when I bought this it would be compatible with MSN Messenger for windows AND the MAC version... I have both and the isight does not show up on it... CAN ISIGHT be connected to msn messenger for MAC??? PLEASE help me!

I called APPLE tech support and they couldn't even help me! They told me to call Microsoft! Anyhow- one guy did say he was able to get his ISIGHT working with the MSN messenger for MAC platform.. do you have ANY idea how to do that?? The thing is ALL my freinds are on PC's and have MSN messenger..

THANK YOU

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Both parties must have a webcam (I think). For video conferencing, both of you must have AIM; however, it does not have to be an iSight. (there might some hacks available to get around the AIM problem)

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
only one person needs the isight if both people are using ichat. if you have ichat and are trying to video conference with someone on a pc using aim, it will not work. as far as i know, there is no way to use an isight with msn.

guccirush007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
How do i get the hacks?? What do i do??? Do you know why my virtual pc soft ware would not allow me to upload a webcam?

EricNau said:
Both parties must have a webcam (I think). For video conferencing, both of you must have AIM; however, it does not have to be an iSight. (there might some hacks available to get around the AIM problem)

guccirush007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
That just sux! SO the other person has to have ichat on the PC? But isn't that only for MACS? Do you know why my virtual pc software would not allow me to upload a webcam?

tangerineyum said:
only one person needs the isight if both people are using ichat. if you have ichat and are trying to video conference with someone on a pc using aim, it will not work. as far as i know, there is no way to use an isight with msn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.