Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
This question may raise a chuckle or two, but it is sincere.

About twice a year I do holiday Skypes with family and I was able to keep my ancient iSight going with my mid-2010 MM up through High Sierra using an adaptor to the Firewire 800 port on my 2010 MM.

Is there a way to make it work with one of my new 2018 MM's ports? I realize we are talking ancient hardware here.

If there isn't a way, is there some more current alternative that will handle video/audio conversations via the ports available on the 2018 MMs? (I use a Dell monitor with no built-in webcam, thus the iSight provided an add-on source for video/audio chats.)

Any pointers appreciated.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I'm using a Logitech C920 with the new Mini and it works flawlessly. Highly recommended.
Thanks. That looks like a great replacement, if it comes to that.
I'm still wondering whether the video/audio feed on the iSight can work by being directed with the right cable adaptor into one of the Thunderbolt ports. Of course, if we're talking a $50 adaptor, then a new Logitech C920 would be much the better option.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't have an iSight, but... what kind of connection does it use (you didn't specify)?
Firewire?

If that's the case, I think you'll need TWO connecting cables to make it work with a 2018 Mini:
1. Firewire-to-thunderbolt2 cable/adapter
and
2. Thunderbolt2-to-Thunderbolt3 cable/adapter

That -might- work (no promises)...
IF Mojave will support it (unknown, by me).

These adapters aren't cheap.
Probably easier and cheaper to buy a modern USB camera...

Reactions: MacNeal

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I don't have an iSight, but... what kind of connection does it use (you didn't specify)?
Firewire?

If that's the case, I think you'll need TWO connecting cables to make it work with a 2018 Mini:
1. Firewire-to-thunderbolt2 cable/adapter
and
2. Thunderbolt2-to-Thunderbolt3 cable/adapter

That -might- work (no promises)...
IF Mojave will support it (unknown, by me).

These adapters aren't cheap.
Probably easier and cheaper to buy a modern USB camera...
The iSight came with a Firewire cable, though it must have been an early version of Firewire, as I then needed an adaptor that enabled it to plug into the Firewire 800 port on the 2010 MM. It sounds like needing yet two more adaptors to maybe get it to work would be pushing things to the ridiculous.
Thanks for your input!

Reactions: ElectronGuru

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I'm using a Logitech C920 with the new Mini and it works flawlessly. Highly recommended.
How do you have your 920 setup. I have it installed and it seemed to be working but everyone says that the echo is horrible with the Mac Mini. I have the microphone input ok from the 920 and my audio is coming out from external speakers connected via the headphone port. The call is okay on my end but the caller says they get the echo and can hear their voice. Sounds like some delay in them hearing themselves through the speakers. Some have suggested that the 920 doesn't have echo cancelling capability but the C615 does.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
Oh boy that did bring back some old memories. I think I owned 2 or 3 iSight cameras.

Now days I use the Logitech C920 like dimaspivak. It's a major improvement over the iSight and being USB it will last you a long time.
I just ordered the Logitech C920, so we will see how it works out. I'm mildly concerned about the echo issue that inmnbob mentioned, but based on all the positive reviews at Amazon, I will assume that the echo problem can be overcome with the right tinkering. I'll report back once it is set up and I've tried it out.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I just ordered the Logitech C920, so we will see how it works out. I'm mildly concerned about the echo issue that inmnbob mentioned, but based on all the positive reviews at Amazon, I will assume that the echo problem can be overcome with the right tinkering. I'll report back once it is set up and I've tried it out.
I replaced the c920 with I think the 615 and the echo went away. The 920 seems to be a better camera with more options but the C615 worked better for WiFi and Facebook calling.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Someone else asked so I tried my iSight. It has a fw 400 plug so need cable to go to fw 800 port on the FW to TB adapter. I don't have a 2018 mini but worked on my nMP. Boy was it obviously low res, though.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I got the Logitech C920 connected and it seems to work fine, with no echo issues so far. I did read up on installation issues, and ended up installing Logitech Gaming Software first and then Logitech Camera Settings (as per various advice I came upon). It looks like the gaming software is totally superfluous, so I'm going to see if the C920 still works if I uninstall the gaming software.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I got the Logitech C920 connected and it seems to work fine, with no echo issues so far. I did read up on installation issues, and ended up installing Logitech Gaming Software first and then Logitech Camera Settings (as per various advice I came upon). It looks like the gaming software is totally superfluous, so I'm going to see if the C920 still works if I uninstall the gaming software.

Didn’t the gaming software allow you to control and zoom the 920?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have the 920 and the echo is pretty bad for the people on the other end. It is perched on top of a 40” Samsung with built in speakers that come out the back of the monitor all the way on the bottom. I’m curious if echo could be improved with the use of wired earbuds.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I started with the C920 and then moved to the C615. I received a lot of complaints from callers about the echo with the C920 when I was using any combination of the computer/monitor/external speakers for the audio. If I used headphones or earbuds the problem went away.

I did move to the C615 and callers are now saying that the echo is gone when using the computer, monitor or external speakers as the audio out.

I use the Mac Mini's ability to use my iphone for incoming and outgoing calls often and didn't want to use headphones or earbuds -- the C615 seemed to fix that. My callers are able to tell that I am on a "speaker phone" but are not complaining as they did with the C920

Reactions: harriska2

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I started with the C920 and then moved to the C615. I received a lot of complaints from callers about the echo with the C920 when I was using any combination of the computer/monitor/external speakers for the audio. If I used headphones or earbuds the problem went away.

I did move to the C615 and callers are now saying that the echo is gone when using the computer, monitor or external speakers as the audio out.

I use the Mac Mini's ability to use my iphone for incoming and outgoing calls often and didn't want to use headphones or earbuds -- the C615 seemed to fix that. My callers are able to tell that I am on a "speaker phone" but are not complaining as they did with the C920
Thanks for that. I’ll try some earpods. Interesting that the c920 costs $50 while the c615 is $33 on Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.