Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
http://www.iskin.com/protouchmb/

I was thinking about getting one of these to keep the crumbs out of my macbook while I'm eating biscuits, but I was wondering if its going to cause any problems with the cooling of the notebook.

Does the macbook draw air or disperse heat through the keyboard?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Nah, the bottom gets hot, I don't think it'll be a problem, I use mine all the time!

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
I was thinking of getting one of these as well, but i believe that their are cheaper products out there, 25$ is a bit much for a keyboard protector..

Can someone perhaps post a pic of the product in use? (the ones on the website seem fake, or photoshoped to me)

Thanks !

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
ITASOR said:
Nah, the bottom gets hot, I don't think it'll be a problem, I use mine all the time!

Well, due to the laws of thermodynamics there is SOME heat venting through the keyboard. In an air-conditioned room you can feel the temperature gradient between the area above the speaker grille (which also vents heat) and the area above the keyboard.

However, the amount of heat vented from the keyboard is small (but not totally insignificant) compared to the heat venting through the grille near the screen's hinge. I wouldn't worry about putting that thing over it to protect the keyboard.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Well, Apple sell them on the UK Store, so I can't see it being a problem. I've had one on my Powerbook for ~18 months now with no issues.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
andrewfee said:
It's worth it, in my opinion. Protection from dust/dirt/spills, easily washed, and very durable. (mine are only just starting to show signs of their age 18 months on)

How does typing on it feel? No clickety-click? Less responsive keyboard?

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Jiddick ExRex said:
How does typing on it feel? No clickety-click? Less responsive keyboard?
I think it feels fine - the keys aren't quite as quick, but not too slow that they get in the way of typing. It definitely cuts down on the noise from typing though, which is a great thing in my opinion.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I am pleased with iSkin's keyboard protectors for my iBook/PBs so far. It does not intrude on typing. I would definately buy another iSkin keyboard protector when I buy MBP or MB in the future (when they become more trouble-free in the near future).
However, for iSkin for Apple's BT Keyboard/Wired Keyboard, it does intrude on my typing. I think the regular keyboard's keys are typically at full height (compared to thin notebook keys) and iSkin add up extra height on the keyboard which make typing a little awkward.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I like the one I have for my iBook (different company). I like the one for my iMac's BT KB also, but as YS2003 said, it's not quite as interference free (the only problem I have is with the up arrow).

There is one thing it might do that you should be aware of... sometimes they scuff up the screen if you leave them on while the computer is closed. It might be less of an issue with the recessed design of the kb in the MB, but it might still be a concern.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Danny Futuro said:
I was thinking about getting one of these to keep the crumbs out of my macbook while I'm eating biscuits, but I was wondering if its going to cause any problems with the cooling of the notebook.

can't stop laughing :p :D

WannabeMacUser

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
Éire
I know a guy who uses one of thems on his 15 inch Powerbook G4. It's really good if you dont want any stains on your precious keyboard. In my opinion it looks like a condom for a keyboard...

j3tang

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Toronto, Canada
i've been contemplating one of these for my macbook as well for the longest time. but the $25 does seem to be a bit too much (for me at least). I've not found any other manufacturers other than iSkin. For other mac laptop models (or other laptops in generaly, not just Apple), there are some available online that come by cheaper, just as good and reliable.

Now if only someone makes it cheaper than iSkin does, and can ship from within Canada .... they will get my money : )

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Yes the Canda thing i agree with, and they willl also get my money.
The last thing anyone wants is for the screen to get ruined by protecting the keyboard..grrrrr

Why are they 25$ its just moulded rubber..i think i remember seeing some for like 12.50$ somewhere, but i cant remember where, and they came in white, black, and clear.. so they would match the colour of the macbook..

Does anyone recall these?

j3tang

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Toronto, Canada
i just went to eBay and bought one for $6.79 and $5.99 shipping .. the shipping is almost as much as the product itself (i hate buying little things on ebay because of this), but alas .. the total is still half the price that iSkin is asking for.

Will let everyone know about the product once it arrives : )

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I've seen old powerbooks with something like that but after awhile it looked crappy and discolored then left a noticable mark on the screen.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
JMG said:
I've seen old powerbooks with something like that but after awhile it looked crappy and discolored then left a noticable mark on the screen.
That's all the dirt / oils from your hands that would otherwise be on the keys / under the keyboard showing on the protector - that means it's doing its job. They're easily washed under a hot tap though, so if you clean them regularly it's not an issue.

It will sometimes leave a mark on the screen if it's pressed when closed, but that's easily cleaned off too. (and virtually invisible when the screen is on anyway)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If you are going to use iSkin on your notebook computer, the thin screen protector (such as Radtech Screensaverz) is a must. For both my 12" PB and 12" iBook, I am able to use both iSkin and Screensaverz together when I close up the notebook. There is just enough clearance between the screen and keyboard. However, I was not able to use both at the same when I close my 15" PB because it does not have enough clearance.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Wouldn't it be easier to cut down on the biscuits or eat them more carefully (for example taking a bite on a plate next to the mbp) :)

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
when I last made a mac purchase - it was for a system that had the pro keyboard - and I recall asking at the time if I could also get a skin for it. The salesperson quite sensibly said to me at the time - that apple keyboards went for around $40.00 - and the skins were slightly more than that (in Australian dollars) - so it wasn't perhaps the best way to spend my money - and I agreed actually, it made sense.

Fast forward... and I've replaced my pro keyboard with the newest version - and I've also purchased an iSkin for the first time (which actually cost me 40% more than the keyboard itself) - but I have decided that whilst I can cheaply replace the keyboard - I don't actually like using it in a grubby state (and I'm talking about dust, skin etc - not eating off it) - I spend 18 hours a day on my mac churning out work - so my usage is high and I feel it's worth the iSkin for this reason.

Knowing that a keyboard is integrated into a portable (and you can't just throw that bit away) - I wouldn't be without an iSkin or similar product with the MB/MBP - it's amazing how much stuff settles in such equipment - Mac & PC alike.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.