Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james4cet

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Hi guys. I think this might be my first ever post (even though I've been using this site for ages!) so I'd better make it a good one! Ok - so I am really excited about the forthcoming Apple tablet, possibly called iSlate, and I thought Id do my own mockup based on rumours and also a feature I would like to see. Its only the front view and it doesnt have that realistic effect because I designed it in Fireworks and my skills arent that amazing. But, for a first attempt, I think it looks quite good. I didnt include an iSight camera as I have designed the base model. If the rumours are correct then it should have a 9.7" OLED screen. However, on my mockup, you can see that it has rounded edges so that there is a very tiny aluminium bezel. Of course, this technology probably wont be out for ages (or never!) but I think it looks nice.

So what do you guys think?

4279473072_47f51f9b9b.jpg

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Out of curiosity (and not snarkiness) - could apple actually do this? I thought the screen had to be rectangular. The picture shows an OLED screen which has corners. Byebyeedge OLED pixels?
I think it'd be more iPhone like near the bezel.
I could eadig see Apple use that edge for somethin more constructive and also in 4G iPhone. Touch sensitive gestures for example

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
It's doubtful that the aspect ratio would be that exaggerated. Think in terms of the iPod Touch & iPhone - if you were to rotate this display it would be a huge PITA to properly display webpages, eBooks etc.

james4cet

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Thanks Peace. Yeh, sorry guys - thats what I meant to put on there. It is my mockup. I just uploaded it onto flickr. I can understand what you mean by the aspect ratio. I deliberately did that though as I do like ultra-wide displays! Its more of my dream tablet than a mockup. And my idea (that I forgot to tell you guys!) would be that the tablet would use an enhanced version of the 'fingerprint resistant' screen coating thats used on the 3GS, and there would be a 'dead zone' in certain areas of the screen where you would place your fingers to hold the tablet. This would stop the tablet doing random clicks and gestures that you didnt mean to do.

P.S I put the picture on my original post now! Thanks for pointing that out everyone.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Very little chance display will be curved at the edge, due to material constraints.

End the screen where the corners begin on ether side and you probably have what this thing will look like, with a home button smack in the middle of one side.

Remember it can't be 100% screen as you need somewhere to hold the device without obscuring the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.