Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
There's been no major changes to this since basically first version of iPhone OS a decade ago, so maybe I'm the only one, but isn't it well overdue with a complete rework of the incoming call screen in iOS?

What I mean is, 10 years ago, the phone "feature" was still the dominant feature of the iPhone, but that's not really the case today. We use it for countless other things, yet whenever you get a call everything else is placed on hold, or even aborted.

Like, if you are filming with the camera and get a call, the filming is stopped and the call screen completely takes over the screen.
If you've linked the iPad to take calls from the iPhone, it too will stop whatever you're doing, even if you answer on the phone. (it might restart after answering)

Like I mentioned above, this is a relic from a time when calls was the most important thing you did. Instead, I hope they make a less intrusive way of answering your calls. Maybe like other notifications work, and you can chose to answer or ignore the 14th call from the wife today, without it interrupting everything else you were doing.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Totally agree with OP. Just make it like a notification if the phone is in use, and don’t interrupt photo/video/audio recording.

Reactions: Smoovejayy

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Agreed, really don’t see the need for it to occupy the whole screen when a call comes in.

An option to treat phone calls the same as other notifications would be nice.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Isn’t that how Android does it, at least on some phones? A phone call will just slide down from the top with the option to answer or ignore. I think I had that on my LG G4 years ago.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
There's been no major changes to this since basically first version of iPhone OS a decade ago, so maybe I'm the only one, but isn't it well overdue with a complete rework of the incoming call screen in iOS?

What I mean is, 10 years ago, the phone "feature" was still the dominant feature of the iPhone, but that's not really the case today. We use it for countless other things, yet whenever you get a call everything else is placed on hold, or even aborted.

Like, if you are filming with the camera and get a call, the filming is stopped and the call screen completely takes over the screen.
If you've linked the iPad to take calls from the iPhone, it too will stop whatever you're doing, even if you answer on the phone. (it might restart after answering)

Like I mentioned above, this is a relic from a time when calls was the most important thing you did. Instead, I hope they make a less intrusive way of answering your calls. Maybe like other notifications work, and you can chose to answer or ignore the 14th call from the wife today, without it interrupting everything else you were doing.
I don’t think this will happen in the near future—hence many of us will stay happy :)
The idea is not totally bad though, but too many people rely on the phone still being a phone as core function—sorry all you kids playing games or doing Instagram 24/7 ;-)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Been wanting this for the longest.

A lot of people always say there’s not a reason to jailbreak, well this is one of the reasons I like to jailbreak. To fix these annoyances.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree; at least the option should be there. They could make the notification look like the FaceTime notification on macOS, so it stands out: dark with red/green accept/decline buttons.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
The call screen (at one point, at least) was a part of Springboard, which oversees home screen, notifications and other various high level UI components.

Rumors said that the home screen redesign was pushed to next year and I would assume that a call screen redesign would be included given the relation of those components.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
No! It will give those I call a greater reason not to answer the call.

Having this as an option would be acceptable. However, Apple gives few options. Apple way or the highway.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Isn’t that how Android does it, at least on some phones? A phone call will just slide down from the top with the option to answer or ignore. I think I had that on my LG G4 years ago.

Yeah on my work phone (Samsung) I have it as a banner popping up on top with the name and a accept or decline button. Only when it is locked it appears full screen

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Yeah it is quite annoying.

It annoys me when i am watching something on my iMac and i get a call. Suddenly the programme i was watching has disappeared off screen and i'm back on the desktop screen, while my iPhone and apple watch that are right next to or attached to me, are ringing too.

iPad is ringing too but that is 3.5 metres away.

Reactions: Jeaz

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Can someone post examples of what they would like to see? I guess I never thought about it too much.
Well, it could behave sort of like a notification. I did a quick search and found some concepts here, a designer at Instagram who apparently have a similar problem to it as I have (I don't personally use Instagram, but I the problem's the same).

1*3nwvEZ1If4vp8xRrmzCFCw.png

Happy to see that at least I'm not alone with this :) Here's hoping for a change in iOS 13.
[doublepost=1530684668][/doublepost]
That got suddenly personal at the end there. ;) Completely agree though.

To be honest, my wife calling isn't so much a problem, but when you use your iPad and iPhone for productivity and any call completely stops that, it doesn't really matter who's calling.
[doublepost=1530684868][/doublepost]
What if there were a way to prioritize outgoing calls? The calls placed with high importance would take over the whole screen, but the normal ones would not.
Sounds sensible, especially since iOS already have "VIP" prioritization DND mode.

As some mentioned having it as an option, an expanded DND mode to could be an options. Problem with DND today is that it still brings up the call to the screen even though you are in DND.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.