Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Ignoring all of the new software features aside, such as the 24/28/35mm button toggle and SmartHDR5; the specs of the main, ultrawide, and telephoto are the exact same as the 14 Pro...

No larger sensors or faster aperture

Of course we have the new 5x telephoto on the 15 Pro Max but thats about it.

Or am I missing something? (I watched the 15 Pro and 14 Pro keynotes just so I didnt miss anything)

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It basically the same. New optical coatings have been applied to the lenses to reduce flare and ghosting with brighter lights, they said the sensor was a little bit larger and 2x better in low light. But they said the same thing moving from the 13 pro to the 14 pro. I upgraded from the 13 promax to the 14 promax because of the 48 megapixel sensor and that’s pretty much the only reason. The 3X till the photo on the 14 promax is exactly the same as the 13 promax apparently it’s been changed to a 5X optical zoom. So other than software upgrades, not a huge difference from a 14 to a 15 upgrade. So I think I’ll save my money this time around.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Both the 14 Pro and 15 Pro have:

Main Camera Specs:
  • 24 mm focal length
  • 2.44 um quad pixel
  • 100% Focus Pixels f/1.78 aperture
  • 2nd-generation sensor-shift OIS
Ultra Wide Camera:
  • 13 mm focal length
  • 1.4 um pixel
  • 100% Focus Pixels
  • f/2.2 aperture
Telephoto Camera 3x:
  • 77 mm focal length
  • 1 um pixel
  • 6% Focus Pixels
  • f|2.8 aperture

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
It basically the same. New optical coatings have been applied to the lenses to reduce flare and ghosting with brighter lights, they said the sensor was a little bit larger and 2x better in low light. But they said the same thing moving from the 13 pro to the 14 pro. I upgraded from the 13 promax to the 14 promax because of the 48 megapixel sensor and that’s pretty much the only reason. The 3X till the photo on the 14 promax is exactly the same as the 13 promax apparently it’s been changed to a 5X optical zoom. So other than software upgrades, not a huge difference from a 14 to a 15 upgrade. So I think I’ll save my money this time around.
yeah they said the sensor is a bit larger than the iPhone 15 not the 14 Pro which is a difference.

The iPhone 15 has 2um quad pixel size while the 14 Pro and 15 Pro have a 2.44um quad pixel size. So iPhone 15 has a smaller sensor than the 14Pro

xiacexi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Didn't they say in the keynote it has a larger sensor? I swear they did

Edit: wow lol so photos will be the same

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Didn't they say in the keynote it has a larger sensor? I swear they did

Edit: wow lol so photos will be the same
yeah I had to go back and listen closely. They mentioned the 15 Pro has a larger sensor than the 15 which is not the same as the 14 Pro. A bit deceiving if you ask me.

The 14 Pro and 15 Pro have the exact same 2.44um quad pixel size and f1.78 aperture

although maybe SmartHDR 5 will make a difference? idk

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Halide says the sensor is bigger, but I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.

Yeah me neither.

I guess we will get definite info once the reviews come out. I still think its the same sensor just with A17 Pro + SmartHDR 5 differences

MattNetherlands

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Yeah, definitely underwhelmed and disappointed they couldn’t fit the 5x telephoto into the regular pro, but I’m still going to upgrade probably due to the rumor of the pro increasing in size next year to make room for the longer zoom. Don’t really want to go any higher than 6.1 inches (best size and form factor, IMO) and still would be getting enough upgrades coming from the 13 pro like dynamic island, AOD, and some nice all around camera upgrades, not to mention an all around much lighter device. It is what it is, hated when they did the same thing with the 12 pro and 12 PM.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
It has new zoom levels (7 in total vs the 4 of the 14P) as well as the default photo resolution being 24MP. Besides that and the glare coating it seems about identical.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Yeah, definitely underwhelmed and disappointed they couldn’t fit the 5x telephoto into the regular pro, but I’m still going to upgrade probably due to the rumor of the pro increasing in size next year to make room for the longer zoom. Don’t really want to go any higher than 6.1 inches (best size and form factor, IMO) and still would be getting enough upgrades coming from the 13 pro like dynamic island, AOD, and some nice all around camera upgrades, not to mention an all around much lighter device. It is what it is, hated when they did the same thing with the 12 pro and 12 PM.
Thats funny because Im kinda in the same boat, except im in the 6.7in 13 Pro Max camp. I really like this size but hearing the rumors of an even larger 6.9in model got me thinking I should upgrade to this 15 Pro Max now instead of waiting till next year.

Should be a decent jump from the 13 Pro series to the 15 pro

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
From what the rumor mill says, next year's 6.9-inch phone will be a bit taller but not wider for ease of use.

Again, this news makes me more hesitant to upgrade from the 14 Pro Max as it’s mostly the same camera with slight improvement. The 15 pro max just had the 5X zoom camera. The biggest thing is the A17 chip and materials.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
From what the rumor mill says, next year's 6.9-inch phone will be a bit taller but not wider for ease of use.

Again, this news makes me more hesitant to upgrade from the 14 Pro Max as it’s mostly the same camera with slight improvement. The 15 pro max just had the 5X zoom camera. The biggest thing is the A17 chip and materials.
Yeah the taller part is the one im afraid of haha

I can use my 13 Pro Max completely with one hand including bringing down control center and notification center. With the 16 Pro Max increasing in height, that might not be possible anymore (its a stretch currently).

But yeah, Im disappointed in the camera upgrades this year. Basically all the same except for software tweaks and obviously the 5x. I was really hoping the ultra wide would continue getting a better sensor every year which looks like not the case this time. But I agree with you, upgrading from a 14 Pro Max might not even be worth it. Guess we will see how the new cameras stack up when reviews come out.

Reactions: pdxa4

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Yeah the taller part is the one im afraid of haha

I can use my 13 Pro Max completely with one hand including bringing down control center and notification center. With the 16 Pro Max increasing in height, that might not be possible anymore (its a stretch currently).

But yeah, Im disappointed in the camera upgrades this year. Basically all the same except for software tweaks and obviously the 5x. I was really hoping the ultra wide would continue getting a better sensor every year which looks like not the case this time. But I agree with you, upgrading from a 14 Pro Max might not even be worth it. Guess we will see how the new cameras stack up when reviews come out.

Yeah, I think I am gonna wait on reviews and read impressions before pulling the trigger on upgrading. Rumors say next year may have more significant changes.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Yeah, I think I am gonna wait on reviews and read impressions before pulling the trigger on upgrading. Rumors say next year may have more significant changes.
I think what will really happen is that standard point and shoot will get better - just because it looks like they are jamming together two 12 MP pictures of 14 Pro into 1 24MP picture of 15 Pro.

But if you are after max quality and RAW - your 48MP raws will be more or less the same after lightroom.(3-5%?)

Reactions: JapanApple

Foghiker

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I can add to this. I believe that the 1x sensor is a little bit larger than that of the 14 pro series, I remember, reading somewhere that it was supposed to be a 1 inch sensor. how true that is I haven’t seen any sites online that actually talk about it to factually say that that is correct. Still 48 megapixels, of course, but slightly larger I believe. it definitely handles night mode a lot better and brings in 2-3 times more detail in the night sky with extra stars being recorded. When I took a picture of the Milky Way with my 14 Pro max, the iso was maxed out at 12,500 and the final ProRAW image was quite noisy. When I took the same photo with my 15 Pro Max, the ISO was down to 3200 & 4000 and the image of the Milky Way was much cleaner and more defined. Also, there weren’t any star trails. So either the sensor and or the software combination is much better on the 15 pro max. Also the 5x sensor is 25% larger as well. The 3x on the 14 pro max iso is 2660 and the max ISO on the new 5x sensor is 8700. That is incredibly much better in low light performance and usability for the type of photography that I do.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Both the 14 Pro and 15 Pro have:

Main Camera Specs:
  • 24 mm focal length
  • 2.44 um quad pixel
  • 100% Focus Pixels f/1.78 aperture
  • 2nd-generation sensor-shift OIS
Ultra Wide Camera:
  • 13 mm focal length
  • 1.4 um pixel
  • 100% Focus Pixels
  • f/2.2 aperture
Telephoto Camera 3x:
  • 77 mm focal length
  • 1 um pixel
  • 6% Focus Pixels
  • f|2.8 aperture
Yes, the new 5x camera has 100% Focus Pixels and is 25% larger and the ISO range is much higher.

3x
IMG_2529.jpeg

5x

IMG_3433.jpeg

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I could swear I heard that the Ultra 2 had a new improved HR sensor and yet it is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.