Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Got this problem before, but after the 10.15.5 update, it's been fine since. Definitely not a hardware issue.

Usama Ahmad

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Hello
i also have this issue with my 2020 macbook pro 13 inch with 4 ports
ive had it for about 2 weeks and i noticed this a few days in to my purchase.

pressing the touch id button after opening the lid seems to wake the trackpad and keyboard fine.

issue defiantly seems linked to wifi somehow, doesn't happen when wifi is turned off.
only happens when wifi is on

if anyone has a solution , please do let me know

im running 10.15.5

there are currently no pending updates

2 of my friends with macbooks also seem to have this issue

one of them has the 15 inch 2019 core i9 version
one of them has the 2019 13 inch core i5 version

EDIT : Same issue on 10.15.6

Last edited:
Reactions: macpot

MothraVsMechaBilbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Same issue -- trackpad unresponsive after wakeup about 20-30% of the time. I have this on my 2019 16" MBP both before and after the 10.15.5 update.

Also, notably, I recently started a new job and was shipped a 2018 13" MBP, 10.15.5, and that work computer has had the same problem...

On my 16", it seems to happen slightly more often if the 16" is running off battery power.

MaLtMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
I have the same issue. I just recently got my 2020 13"MBP 4 thunderbolt port and encountering the same problem.
I have noticed though that if i used my Apple Watch to unlock I get this issue. It seems intermittent though.

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
TL;DR My Old Macbook Air 2018 (Mojave 10.14.6) and my new Macbook Pro 2020 (Catalina 10.15.6) both have this stupid issue...

----

I had a Macbook Air 2018 with this annoying issue last month, it was running on Mojave 10.14.6

Now around 2-3 weeks ago I bought a new Macbook Pro 13-inch 2020 (4-thunderbolt),
It was fine until today, but today this issue started happening all over again!

After I woke it from sleep, it couldn't recognize my Keyboard and Trackpad for around 40 seconds... (it was running on Battery)

This is really disappointing :( specially since my new laptop runs on Catalina 10.15.6 and we probably won't get any other Catalina updates.

The only thing I have done today is that I cleaned off the Keyboard and Trackpad using Isopropyl alcohol about an hour before this issue occurred. I don't think if that's the reason though.

I have gotten to the point that I want to disable/prevent Sleeping all together...

P.S. has any one tested if macOS Big Sur fixes this?

P.P.S. I avoided installing any kind of Virtualization software until now (e.g. Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) just to make sure it's not the reason for this, and indeed they are not!

Last edited:

alienvariety

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Cardiff
Having the exact same issues Catalina 10.15.6 (Macbook Pro 16" 2019)

I run a VPN all the time (ExpressVPN) so that could be a common theme. I might try and see if I still get the same issue when it's off, but it'll be hard to identify since it seems to happen at random, not consistently. I usually close the lid to sleep and reopen a few seconds later to try and re-recognise and it mostly works. Very very annoying though. The lock up lasts for ages. Amazing there's been no official comment or reporting on this issue if it's as widespread as this thread suggests.

xenogears_742

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2020
I had this same issue for the longest time and so irritated after spending almost $7,000 on two 16" Macbook Pros and BOTH having the same trackpad issue. SOLVED FINALLY!

After updating to 10.15.6, I noticed a short screen refresh black screen pop-up to I assume they tried to "help fix the trackpad". I noticed it helps fix. But there are still times that it continues to happens. That was not enough for me.

So I spoke with an Apple representative and she first recommended to put in Safe Boot mode while allowing the device to fall asleep.

Still didn't work so we proceeded by resetting the SMC and NVRAM or PRAM and so far no problems with the trackpad! I also turned off force click and haptic feedback and installed anti-malware software as well.

You can find the explanation on this website.

Note: Resetting these does not affect any of your applications or anything so don't worry!

I hope this message helps resolve your issue. Let me know if yours gets fixed too!

URL: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I had this same issue for the longest time and so irritated after spending almost $7,000 on two 16" Macbook Pros and BOTH having the same trackpad issue. SOLVED FINALLY!

After updating to 10.15.6, I noticed a short screen refresh black screen pop-up to I assume they tried to "help fix the trackpad". I noticed it helps fix. But there are still times that it continues to happens. That was not enough for me.

So I spoke with an Apple representative and she first recommended to put in Safe Boot mode while allowing the device to fall asleep.

Still didn't work so we proceeded by resetting the SMC and NVRAM or PRAM and so far no problems with the trackpad! I also turned off force click and haptic feedback and installed anti-malware software as well.

You can find the explanation on this website.

Note: Resetting these does not affect any of your applications or anything so don't worry!

I hope this message helps resolve your issue. Let me know if yours gets fixed too!

URL: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/
Probably not going to help ?

Reactions: xenogears_742

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I have tested this over the past month or so and it only happens when I'm connected to my VPN.

I use AirVPN.

k_zlovsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2020
I have experienced the same issue since a week. When my MacBook is connected to my office L2TP VPN (Mikrotik) and it's using battery power after sleep touchpad and keyboard is not responding for about a minute. Is there any good solution for it?
MacBook Pro 13” 2019 4TB3, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

xenogears_742

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2020
Probably not going to help ?

Yeah.. definitely didn't work. ?Should've known. Any solutions yet?

Spoke with an Apple rep and they sending mailing boxes to have the two Macbook Pro 16" 32G RAM I purchased checked out under warranty.

We will see how that goes..

appleuser181

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
I started seeing this happen on my 2018 15 inch. See thread here
Thinking it may be a Catalina thing, since it started happening soon after upgrading to Catalina.
It happened a few times now. But hasn't happened for a week or so.
I found that closing the lid (putting it to sleep for 60 seconds) and then opening the lid again, usually brings it back to life.
Yea I started having this issue on my 2018 MBP 15" as well. Hopefully it's a software bug caused by Catalina and not T2 related again...

smotania

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Boston, MA, USA
Gentleman and ladies, I ran in the same problem, but i had some spillage on the keyboard(everything is fine just a sticky shift key) which threw me off what the problem is. Another thing is that my company laptop died the next day so until i get it fixed i had to use my mac for VPN in. And thats where i noticed this problem, so i automatically thought the spillage was the culprit. Well it isnt and i have found a solution that works for me. It turned out that it is some weird ipv6 set on automatic by default and an active VPN connection. So here it is the magic.

Type this in terminal
if you're using Wi-Fi -> networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi
if you're using Ethernet -> networksetup -setv6off Ethernet

I hope it helps.

edit:
Forgot to mention I'm using 2020 13" mac i bought a month ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.