Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
So I just got my 2.9 i9/16gb/1tb MacBook Pro and I went to install boot camp on it. During disk partitioning,

Last edited:

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
4eabe1c7c1b87af7c11e77ff6d1fb545.jpg

This is what comes up in disk utility

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It rather looks like it crashed mid resizing partitions and managed to mess things up quite badly.. I suspect you may be stuffed if you don't have a backup as I don't there exists many recovery tools for APFS.

You'll probably have to repartition the disk from scratch to reinstall OS.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
It rather looks like it crashed mid resizing partitions and managed to mess things up quite badly.. I suspect you may be stuffed if you don't have a backup as I don't there exists many recovery tools for APFS.

You'll probably have to repartition the disk from scratch to reinstall OS.

I tried making repartitioning the disk from scratch but it’s not working. Could this be a faulty SSD? I tried doing it myself on disk utility and I keep creating more weird files in the stupid disk utility.

I’m trying to find a manual way to make a disk partition, but it seems to fail no matter what I do....

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I tried making repartitioning the disk from scratch but it’s not working.
I assume you manually removed ALL existing partitions and then created new ones, and what happened then exactly? Describe, please. :) It's much easier to help if we know the exact error messages if any, and so on.

dev201

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
I didn’t yet, I just partitioned my drive and ruined my hard drive
Ah, gotcha.
I tried downloading the drivers about 5 min ago, and got the typical "software unavailable" error... However, I tried again, AND THEY ARE DOWNLOADING!

Sorry about the partition issue. Good luck.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
191a3d183d14de8dbd1a0f263452f81b.jpg

I got OS X to download, but I can’t delete this partition no matter what I do... how do I get rid of this?

I’m really getting sick of apple.

Jimgpayne

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Don't be upset with Apple because you didn't follow their process and procedures. If you had run Boot Camp Assistant, you would have been told that you couldn't do it yet.

For now, try an Internet Recovery get your Mac OS back and then take it from there.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Don't be upset with Apple because you didn't follow their process and procedures. If you had run Boot Camp Assistant, you would have been told that you couldn't do it yet.

For now, try an Internet Recovery get your Mac OS back and then take it from there.

I did use boot camp assistant. My laptop crashed in the middle of the partition part. That’s not my fault.

If a $3500 machine crashes for using a program that it came with and it’s considered my fault, will send it’s ass right back to Apple.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Boot into internet recovery > disk utility > view "show all devices" > erase the top level internal HD (rename it macintosh HD etc) What does disk utility show now? It should only show the top level internal HD and then macintosh HD underneath it as a partition.

Make sure you boot only to internet recovery and changed the view settings to "Show all devices".

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Boot into internet recovery > disk utility > view "show all devices" > erase the top level internal HD (rename it macintosh HD etc) What does disk utility show now? It should only show the top level internal HD and then macintosh HD underneath it as a partition.

Make sure you boot only to internet recovery and changed the view settings to "Show all devices".

8ef51bb7123b150aa0fa7852aea9825c.jpg

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
1baa651855531b7859aaba6b4addcb57.jpg

It says external no matter what I do. Is there like a guide to do it to back to internal.

Last edited:

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia

Press on the Apple SSD AP10.... and Erase that. Rename that to Macintosh HD.

You then should see the Apple SSD AP10... the very first listed and then macintosh HD underneath it. If that is true you should then be able to reinstall the macOS to the internal HD macintosh HD partition.

edit: make sure you format the "Apple SSD AP10..." disk as 'macOS extended journaled'

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Press on the Apple SSD AP10.... and Erase that. Rename that to Macintosh HD.

You then should see the Apple SSD AP10... the very first listed and then macintosh HD underneath it. If that is true you should then be able to reinstall the macOS to the internal HD macintosh HD partition.

edit: make sure you format the "Apple SSD AP10..." disk as 'macOS extended journaled'

Worked! Thank you so much! I was able to also install boot camp this time.

Reactions: Funsize93

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
So wanted to update you guys...

It happened again and messed up both my operating systems... I just returned it so I can order another one. They think it’s my SSD drive that’s bad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.