Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just started to watch „The Boys“ season 2 on Amazon Prime Video but my TV only switches to HDR for the 2nd episode. The 1st, 3rd and 4th episode (no more available at the moment in Germany) get displayed in SDR.

However, when I watch the series via the internal Amazon Prime Video app of my TV all of the episodes get displayed in HDR.

Anyone else also having this issue?

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Okay, thanks for checking. Really strange that when using the TV internal app all of the episodes are HDR. Looks like some kind of bug regarding the combination of the Amazon Prime Video app + Apple TV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
same here,
I did a rewatch In the past couple weeks leading up to the new season, Season 1, episodes 3 & 5 both came in SDR on the aTV, but HDR on my TV's built-in app (Think it was 3&5, definitely 2 eps with a space in the middle)

Season 2, ep1-3 were HDR, but last night watched 4, it was SDR, didn't feel like bothering with the TV app.
I might have lied, just checked, 1 is not HDR, not sure if it was when I watched it or not.

Amazon's system just sucks in general,
They need to have one entry, like Netflix has, and just play the best quality the device and your connection can handle.
Hate the fact that for new shows, it seems like they always suggest the non-4k version to me. And sometimes I really have to dig to find the UHD version.

I had similar problems on Jack Ryan, don't remember exactly, but TV and aTV were different with HDR, think it was an entire season though.

Reactions: chris4565
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.