Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jt993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
England
so I decided to get my old iPhone 6 out to possibly use for work.

However I get this weird flashing white bar along the top and the screen doesn’t seem to respond to touch.

I can get in with finger print ID but then can’t go any further.

Attached a picture which might help.

Just trying to figure out if it’s something worth fixing, and if so going to Apple or someone else?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 63D1422E-6329-42C8-82C8-E4A276807582.jpeg
    63D1422E-6329-42C8-82C8-E4A276807582.jpeg
    965.2 KB · Views: 285

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
I would assume the LCD is broken. I believe Apple would charge what ever the screen replacement cost is, to get it fixed. Fixing it depends on your needs. Is the 6 good enough for work? What exactly do you need it for? If it is just for vert light use (like phone call on business number) might as well buy a SE or wait and get the SE 2, depending on what Apple charges for screen replacement in your country.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
That could be a symptom of 'touch disease'. Apple had a recall on certain phones that had that manufacturing defect. Not sure if that's what going on with yours. Ask them. Maybe they'll fix for free.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
so I decided to get my old iPhone 6 out to possibly use for work.

However I get this weird flashing white bar along the top and the screen doesn’t seem to respond to touch.

I can get in with finger print ID but then can’t go any further.

Attached a picture which might help.

Just trying to figure out if it’s something worth fixing, and if so going to Apple or someone else?

Many thanks in advance

I believe your digitizer is failing. It would cost more to repair the device than its worth. I would consider another device if you can.

sandiegomacrepair

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
This looks like a bad display if its an iPhone 6 and not the 6 plus. The 6 plus is commonly affected by the touch disease. Apple will have the original display for it. Id be cautious with 3rd party repair shops. Id make sure its original quality. I made a post about fake iPhones screens. See this post about it. I worked for Apple for a couple of years and saw a bunch of fakes.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Yes, this is the so-called 'Touch Disease' issue. It's not actually a problem with the display, it's the logic board. Apple will only replace the whole unit for this problem and there's no guarantee that the replacement won't suffer the same fate in time.

It's either a paid-for replacement, or you might be able to get Consumer Law coverage if your country's rights extend for long enough (e.g. six years in England).

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

sandiegomacrepair

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
Yes, this is the so-called 'Touch Disease' issue. It's not actually a problem with the display, it's the logic board. Apple will only replace the whole unit for this problem and there's no guarantee that the replacement won't suffer the same fate in time.

It's either a paid-for replacement, or you might be able to get Consumer Law coverage if your country's rights extend for long enough (e.g. six years in England).

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

The original post didn't mention if it was a 6 or 6 plus. Need the model number from the back to confirm the model.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
The original post didn't mention if it was a 6 or 6 plus. Need the model number from the back to confirm the model.

That's true. Based on the reported symptoms, I took a best guess. If it's not the Plus, it might be a bad display only, as you said before.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Well I have a similar problem with my MacBook Pro 2016. It got a new screen so it might be the same in your case.

If you are thinking about getting a new phone in a year I will just replace the screen with a cheap non-Apple screen for $60 bucks and save the money for a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.