Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiLR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Hi all, first post, so hello to everybody and hope you're all keeping well :)

I searched for the topic but couldn't find it, apologies if this has been discussed before.

I was using Monterey Beta on my Mini M1, but ran into a few issues with software, which meant I decided to go back to Big Sur. I unenrolled from the beta programme etc then went to wipe my Mini clean in the same way I had done with previous Macs, i.e. booted into DiskUtil and erased everything then rebooted. I kept the power button held down and the message on the screen was that it was booting into recovery options (or whatever), but then it just rebooted and looped. I tried just turning it on but then the front LED was just flashing orange (SOS, I think).

Now, whatever I try I cannot get the Mini to turn on, it just does the orange flashing lights! I read somewhere that my firmware might need 'reviving' from another Mac, but I don't have another Mac. I went on support chat and they offered to book me an appointment at an Apple Store, but I honestly don't have time to make the 40 mile round trip, not in working hours anyway. I asked if I could post the Mini but apparently not (seems weird, but hey-ho).

Do I have any more options? I don't know if I've done something wrong, but if it's going to cost me time and money then I'll probably just stick it in the cupboard for now.

Just thought I'd check if I'm missing anything obvious, as I'm not exactly a Mac wizard :)

Cheers all!

LiLR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Unfortunately you need another mac to do a firmware recovery, your boot partition is loaded with macos monterrey, part of the beta, it modifies your boot system to monterrey. To recover big sur you need another, friend maybe? Mac.
Hi, thanks for that. I do have an old Mac laying around, possibly a 2015 iMac.....Would I be able to do it from there? It won't have USB-C though, can I use an A to C cable still?

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Hi, thanks for that. I do have an old Mac laying around, possibly a 2015 iMac.....Would I be able to do it from there? It won't have USB-C though, can I use an A to C cable still?
Yes, you can use A to C cable, if that cable doesn't work try another one, USB-C to USB-A cables sometimes are different. I used a regular USB-A to USB-C to recover my Macbook Air M1 and it worked.

Reactions: cabragg and LiLR

LiLR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Yes, you can use A to C cable, if that cable doesn't work try another one, USB-C to USB-A cables sometimes are different. I used a regular USB-A to USB-C to recover my Macbook Air M1 and it worked.
Thanks man, I will try it and let you know!

LiLR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
It appears to be working, my friend! I got it connected in DFU mode and it is currently downloading the files, but so far, so good!

Thank you so much for your help.

If anybody else finds this in their search..... I have managed it with a mid 2014 iMac, updated to Big Sur, downloaded 'Configurator 2' from the App Store, connected the Mini M1 using a half decent USB A to USB C cable (like you get with most Android phones), then booted the Mini into DFU mode whilst connected to the iMac with Configurator 2 open. You'll know if you're winning as you'll see a large 'DFU' icon in the middle of the screen!

Thanks again.

Reactions: StralyanPithecus

Ariam11

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Good morning everyone,

I hope You're doing great ! Actually, I have the same problem on my Mac Mini M1
The fact is that, I tried to erase and install the firmware with the hard drive erased on HFS+ (Journalised) rather than APFS. And unfortunately, it's not replyiig anymore, same thing, orange light (SOS mode), it's in DFU Mode automatically I think.
I tried to restore using my MacBook Pro, but nothing, it's also running Ventura
I tried to use a flash drive to install the most recent firmware, still nothing

Could You please guys help me ?

Thank You so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.