Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hi so about 3 hours ago, I opened up my macbook and was doing usual stuff. In this place, the macbook pro 2016 (touchbar) is connected to the power 99% of the time. I did notice a few days ago, it would get pretty hot (fans at 2500-3000 rpm) while doing usual stuff (i do admit that I was doing a lot of stuff at the same time so I shrugged it off)

Then out of nowhere today, I see my macbook at 5% battery while this whole time it was plugged in. I’ve seen this before once or twice, so i shrugged it off and just closed all my apps/saved my documents and restarted the computer. My reasoning was that some app or the kernel was acting up and a restart would fix it.

However, now it shows just a charging icon and it’s been charging for about 2 hours and no change. I just had my keyboard replaced 11 months ago, so I also got a new battery then, so the battery was relatively new (under 100 charge cycles probably?)

What is more weird is that while plugged in, I can’t get it to show anything (can’t get it to show the charging icon). I need to unplug the charger, close and open the lid for the macbook to respond and show a “needs charge” icon.

I know the best option is to visit a genius bar but probably won’t be able to in the next few days so maybe some help in this forum would be helpful.

edit: added info about battery

Last edited:

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Your battery has probably failed. When the battery is in a very bad state you can experience what you describe, charge levels jumping rapidly from a high charge to a low charge and the battery not accepting charging.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Your battery has probably failed. When the battery is in a very bad state you can experience what you describe, charge levels jumping rapidly from a high charge to a low charge and the battery not accepting charging.
Oh I forgot to mention this in my post. I just had my keyboard replaced about 11 months ago. So that means I also got a new battery then. Could a 11 month old battery suffer from what you described?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I would not have expected it. But having the MBP connected to power the whole time is not good. Deep discharges can also kill the batter very quickly and high temperatures, e.g due to high load, is not good either.

The symptoms to me sound clearly like a bad battery. Anyhow a visit to an Apple store should provide confirmation.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I would not have expected it. But having the MBP connected to power the whole time is not good. Deep discharges can also kill the batter very quickly and high temperatures, e.g due to high load, is not good either.

The symptoms to me sound clearly like a bad battery. Anyhow a visit to an Apple store should provide confirmation.
Well, it does get discharged fully probably 1-2 times a month, but I understand what you are saying.

What do you think would be the best option right now, leave it charging the whole night or leave it not charging and charge it in the morning?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
With deep discharge I mean going down to 0%, e.g. the battery drains fully and the MBP shuts down. You can do this a few times. If you have done this 1 - 2 times per month for a year I am surprised the battery lasted this long.

If this is the situation, there is nothing you can do. Disconnect the computer and have is serviced. Trying to charge a bad battery could lead to swelling and secondary damages.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
With deep discharge I mean going down to 0%, e.g. the battery drains fully and the MBP shuts down. You can do this a few times. If you have done this 1 - 2 times per month for a year I am surprised the battery lasted this long.

If this is the situation, there is nothing you can do. Disconnect the computer and have is serviced. Trying to charge a bad battery could lead to swelling and secondary damages.

Appreciate the help. Turns out, i had a cable that just turned faulty.

Borrowed a different cable this morning and the laptop works perfectly.

Will apply your advice to managing my battery better though. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.