Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

I got my first mac this summer (G4 1.25 DP Powermac, 10.2.8 running now, 1 GB memory, 80 GB HD, 120 GB HD) for editing on FCP. It's a fantastic machine. I've had NO problems converting from PC to Mac, except one. It's a little one, but I'd like your ideas on how to solve it!

I like to play online video games (legit of course). Spyhunter is a shockwave game that can be found on the shockwave site here:

http://www.shockwave.com/bin/content/shockwave.jsp?id=spyhunter

In any case, when I try to load it, I get the following errors (in both IE and Safari):

Director Player Error.
This application requires an Xtra (ArcadeEmulator2) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Make sure that the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtras folder(s).
OK

When I hit OK, I get this message:

Cannot start the game because a support file is missing. Please reload this page and select “Install” when prompted.
OK

So... I tried "refreshing/reloading" the page. The first error comes up again.

I've even tried the following with no luck:
Changed my preference settings to: Update Pages - Always (and retrying)
Loaded new versions of: Flash Player and Shockwave Player (this week)

The game runs on an old PC that I was using when I was at my father in laws at christmas. No errors, and I am certain that my father in law would not go out of his way to put something special on his computer for this game to work. I have also done google searches for "ArcadeEmulator2" and only come up with the mame site - which i don't know how to use, and I'm not sure I need.

If you can help me with this issue, I'd really appreciate it. I tried contacting Macromedia Support 4 or 5 days ago with no response.

Thanks!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think Shockwave can use 3rd party plugins to display content Shockwave itself is not capable of. Sadly most of these plugins only work on the Windows version of Shockwave.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Issue with Shockwave in IE and Safari

Originally posted by fartheststar
Hi,

I got my first mac this summer (G4 1.25 DP Powermac, 10.2.8 running now, 1 GB memory, 80 GB HD, 120 GB HD) for editing on FCP. It's a fantastic machine. I've had NO problems converting from PC to Mac, except one. It's a little one, but I'd like your ideas on how to solve it!

I like to play online video games (legit of course). Spyhunter is a shockwave game that can be found on the shockwave site here:

http://www.shockwave.com/bin/content/shockwave.jsp?id=spyhunter

In any case, when I try to load it, I get the following errors (in both IE and Safari):

Director Player Error.
This application requires an Xtra (ArcadeEmulator2) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Make sure that the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtras folder(s).
OK

When I hit OK, I get this message:

Cannot start the game because a support file is missing. Please reload this page and select “Install” when prompted.
OK

So... I tried "refreshing/reloading" the page. The first error comes up again.

I've even tried the following with no luck:
Changed my preference settings to: Update Pages - Always (and retrying)
Loaded new versions of: Flash Player and Shockwave Player (this week)

The game runs on an old PC that I was using when I was at my father in laws at christmas. No errors, and I am certain that my father in law would not go out of his way to put something special on his computer for this game to work. I have also done google searches for "ArcadeEmulator2" and only come up with the mame site - which i don't know how to use, and I'm not sure I need.

If you can help me with this issue, I'd really appreciate it. I tried contacting Macromedia Support 4 or 5 days ago with no response.

Thanks!
Check your QuickTime MIME setttings. You should make sure that you uncheck Flash files as a format that QuickTime handles.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Ok. I checked the mime settings.

Both Flash file and FlashPix Image file are UNCHECKED.

Thanks though.... any other thoughts?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.