Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hello all,

So earlier i used to sync my contacts with icloud and i used to have an app download all pictures through the facebook for all my contacts who had pictures saved on facebook and they would appear as big thumbnails when somebody calls.

However, recently, i switched to using google for syncing my contacts and now i dont get any pictures when somebody calls and i even had a few issues with syncs. I tried saving an email for a contact and then it disappeared after a few days. The email only disappeared.

Anything i am missing to using google instead of icloud without missing any features..

Thanks in advance.

Dhrumil

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I use Google for my contacts. When I get a call a small thumbnail of the caller's photo, which I edited myself at either the Google Contacts website or in my Contacts app on my Mac or iPhone, appears on the upper right.

I've never connected anything from Facebook to my contacts.

My Contacts sync just fine. The iOS contacts seem to take a while to update if I've done an edit elsewhere unless I force a sync.

I don't know what you mean by "I tried saving an email for a contact and then it disappeared after a few days. The email only disappeared."

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
I use Google for my contacts. When I get a call a small thumbnail of the caller's photo, which I edited myself at either the Google Contacts website or in my Contacts app on my Mac or iPhone, appears on the upper right.

I've never connected anything from Facebook to my contacts.

My Contacts sync just fine. The iOS contacts seem to take a while to update if I've done an edit elsewhere unless I force a sync.

I don't know what you mean by "I tried saving an email for a contact and then it disappeared after a few days. The email only disappeared."

What I meant was I saved an email address under a contact and the email address saved vanished. Not the contact, nor the phone number but only the email address.

And I mean to say the big thumbnail that you can get when somebody calls and I don’t even get the small ones.
[doublepost=1512674525][/doublepost]Big thumbnail means the whole
Screen contact picture.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Do contact photos show for individual contacts in your iOS device's Contacts app? Do they show for the contacts at the Google Contacts web site?

The disappearing email in that one contact is odd. I don't have any guesses for that one.
I do see small thumbnails when I open each contact. So photos are there but I just don’t get the full screen caller Id photo. I kinda liked them. Also I may have misstated about no thumbnails for caller I’d. I do get small thumbnails as caller id when somebody calls.

And email thing is weird, I agree. Shouldn’t normally do it.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
That's all your going to get with Google Contacts.
So this may sound strange. Couple of days back I reset all my settings as I was having minor issues. That seemed to have resolved majority of them and even got better battery life.

Also, I started getting my full screen photos during incoming calls. I hadn’t realised until today. So I went to check the settings thinking that it may ha w reset my default contacts saving to iCloud. To my surprise, it is still showing google and I am getting full screen photos.

Sounds weird but I don’t know what made it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.