Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
What is the procedure to connect my MacBook Pro to two Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved USB-C Monitor: U3419W? I think that I'm missing something.

ivanzud

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Either connect two USB C cables from the monitors to your Macbook Pro which also provides 90 Watts of Power delivery or get two USB C to DisplayPort cables and connect them or get a ThunderBolt 3 Dock and connect the monitors to the dock and the dock through 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable to your Macbook Pro. The first option is the cheapest.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Either connect two USB C cables from the monitors to your Macbook Pro which also provides 90 Watts of Power delivery or get two USB C to DisplayPort cables and connect them or get a ThunderBolt 3 Dock and connect the monitors to the dock and the dock through 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable to your Macbook Pro. The first option is the cheapest.
Well I tried connecting 2 USB-C cables. My question is does one end have to be HDMI and the other USB-C?

rjschave

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Well I tried connecting 2 USB-C cables. My question is does one end have to be HDMI and the other USB-C?

There are USB-C cables that are power only. You need to make sure the USB-C cables support data.

I had issues with connecting two external USB-C displays, using a variety of USB-C cables. One or both displays kept dropping out. I finally switched one monitor to a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and I no longer have that issue.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
There are USB-C cables that are power only. You need to make sure the USB-C cables support data.

I had issues with connecting two external USB-C displays, using a variety of USB-C cables. One or both displays kept dropping out. I finally switched one monitor to a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and I no longer have that issue.
Should I buy this USB-C to HDMI cable?

rjschave

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Should I buy this USB-C to HDMI cable?

I’m sure that USB-C to HDMI cable will work. I recommend you use a USB-C to USB-C cable between the laptop and one of the monitors. This monitor will output 90 watts on the USB-C connection which is enough to charge the laptop. If you connect the laptop to this monitor using the USB-C to USB-C cable you will not also have to use the AC adapter to charge/power the laptop.

This monitor includes a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box. I’m assuming you tried this cable and it didn’t work?

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I’m sure that USB-C to HDMI cable will work. I recommend you use a USB-C to USB-C cable between the laptop and one of the monitors. This monitor will output 90 watts on the USB-C connection which is enough to charge the laptop. If you connect the laptop to this monitor using the USB-C to USB-C cable you will not also have to use the AC adapter to charge/power the laptop.

This monitor includes a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box. I’m assuming you tried this cable and it didn’t work?
When I tried connecting USB-C to USB-C cables with both monitors, only one of the monitors displayed the screen.

I was thinking of using the USB-C to HDMI cable to connect it to one of the monitors and then use the USB-C to USB-C cable to connect it to the other monitor. Would that work out?

rjschave

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
When I tried connecting USB-C to USB-C cables with both monitors, only one of the monitors displayed the screen.

I was thinking of using the USB-C to HDMI cable to connect it to one of the monitors and then use the USB-C to USB-C cable to connect it to the other monitor. Would that work out?

That setup should work. My setup is USB-C to USB-C for one monitor and USB-C to DisplayPort for the other.

You may want to test both USB-C cables and both monitors, one at a time, just to make sure they are not defective.

rjschave

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Is there any difference between DisplayPort and HDMI?

This monitor supports HDMI 2.0. HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort both support 4K at 60Hz. So there is probably no difference. My general rule of thumb is to choose DisplayPort over HDMI if it’s an option.

I’d love your feedback after you’ve used the dual 34” setup for a while. I have the 38” model. Two of those would be too much :)

rjschave

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Out of curiosity, why?

Older versions of the HDMI spec had a slower refresh rate. DisplayPort allows for the daisy chaining of monitors (although this won’t work for you as you’re using USB-C on one end).

For me, DisplayPort has become the defacto standard for computer displays and I think of HDMI for TVs.

Again, USB-C to HDMI will likely work just fine for you.

simont90

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I've set mine up like so:

Main monitor Usb C cable to MacBook Pro
Second Monitor - Display port into Main monitor and USB C to MacBook Pro

Works absolutely fine, daisy chains the two monitors and the two individual USB Cs power out the screens. I switch between a windows 10 (work) and personal MBP with the windows 10 machine I only use the usb c cable from the main monitor but when using the MBP I need both USB C cables.

If you want it just for a MBP you can skip the daisy chaining and just have two usb c cables going from monitors into MBP

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I've set mine up like so:

Main monitor Usb C cable to MacBook Pro
Second Monitor - Display port into Main monitor and USB C to MacBook Pro

Works absolutely fine, daisy chains the two monitors and the two individual USB Cs power out the screens. I switch between a windows 10 (work) and personal MBP with the windows 10 machine I only use the usb c cable from the main monitor but when using the MBP I need both USB C cables.

If you want it just for a MBP you can skip the daisy chaining and just have two usb c cables going from monitors into MBP
I ended up buying this cable.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/platin...k-or-laptops-with-a-usb-c-port-gray/6367410.p

I’ll pick it up today and tell you how it is.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I ended up buying this cable.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/platin...k-or-laptops-with-a-usb-c-port-gray/6367410.p

I’ll pick it up today and tell you how it is.
I picked up the cable earlier today, but I’ll test it tomorrow.
1592522808623.jpeg

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I have succeeded in linking my MacBook Pro to two monitors by using one USB-C to USB-C cable and the other cable being USB-C to HDMI. Both monitors are now fully operational.

@rjschave, is there a way to mirror the dock on both monitors without checking the "mirror displays" box?

simont90

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I have succeeded in linking my MacBook Pro to two monitors by using one USB-C to USB-C cable and the other cable being USB-C to HDMI. Both monitors are now fully operational.

@rjschave, is there a way to mirror the dock on both monitors without checking the "mirror displays" box?

How did you do the set up? USB C to C between monitors & HDMI to USB C into MacBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.