Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
HARDWARE AVAILABLE:

Epson EX7200 Overhead Room Projector (can connect via HDMI, USB-A, USB-B, VGA, S-Video, RCA Video/Audio), VGA cable

late-2013 MacBook Pro, 13-inch model, running MacOS Mojave

recently purchased M1 Mac Mini running MacOS Monerey, loaded, purchased from Apple-direct as a refurb

Kanex ATV Pro adaptor (HDMI male to VGA)

Benfei USB-C -to- VGA adaptor

old AppleTV (slim HD model; the one with the lame remote)

HDMI cable (male-to-male)

Typically, at least once a year I get out this Epson projector that our local recreational trails organization bought for overhead presentations for meetings, public events and safety presentations. COVID-19 and other factors caused us to leave it in storage for the past few years. One of the most common venues we use to make presentations is a remote rural township campus where there is no WiFi and cellular is too weak to rely on. I tried plugging the equipment in and using the MacBook Pro to make a PowerPoint presentation last June, but the projector would never pick up any signal. I was using the Kanex adaptor and the Epson VGA cable. I also tried the Epson USB-B cable with the Epson USB software. It was embarassing. I could not get the project to pick up the signal. I never had that problem before.

I got the project out of its carrying bag today and tried it out. I used the Kanex adaptor and the VGA cable, just like last year. No result, just like last year.

Then I got to thinking what I must be doing wrong... Was I forgetting something? Then it hit me: I hadn't tried using an HDMI direct connection between the MacBook Pro and the Projector. I also hadn't tried using AppleTV for years. So I got behind the TV pulled out the AppleTV and the HDMI cable, dusted them off, and took them to the Epson projector.

BANG! THAT WAS IT! Everything worked. Direct HDMI cable connection from the MacBook Pro worked like a charm. Also, plugging the HDMI cable into the AppleTV and connecting the MacBook Pro to the AppleTV wirelessly also worked. So, that was what I forgot last year.

Just out of sheer impulse, I also decided to play around with the Mac Mini. I plugging the Mini into the Benfei adaptor via USB-C. I then plugged in the Benfei's VGA port into the Epson VGA cable. BANG! I had the Mac Mini playing on the Epson projector via VGA. There was MacOS Monterey on the wall. Perfect. I also plugged the HDMI cable between the Mac Mini and the Epson projector. BANG! I got to see Monterey projected on the wall again.

So, all along, the weak link was the Kanex adaptor. I don't know how to test it again; maybe I'll try plugging the Kanex into the AppleTV's HDMI port to see how that works.

But there's another issue:

I have two other hardware experiments to attempt: I have a brand-new 2022 iPhone SE running iOS 15. I also have an old iPad Mini 2 running iOS 12.4.7. Is there a way I can load a PowerPoint slideshow onto either of these mobile devices, then play the slideshow on the Epson projector using the AppleTV? The annual rural township presentation in coming up this weekend, and I wondered if it's possible to make an overhead presentation from an iPhone using an old AppleTV...

And suggestions? Can this be done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.