Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heathw27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Hi there,

Hoping for any assistance.

We lost our Promise RJ11 to DB9 cable so purchased a new one off eBay, when trying to connect either directly into Xserve or attached to a DB9 to USB into a Mac Pro we are unable to type in Terminal, iTerm, Zterm or Serial (Serial does get to the username and password prompt).

Any tips or ideas would be great

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
If you are using the same software setup as before then presumably there is something wrong with your adapter. Check it is wired correctly (or indeed at all depending on the quality) - there will be an explanation of the wiring in the manual or on the web somewhere.

If you are using different software then it could be any number of things. Make sure you get the baud rate right for one thing.

Heathw27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
If you are using the same software setup as before then presumably there is something wrong with your adapter. Check it is wired correctly (or indeed at all depending on the quality) - there will be an explanation of the wiring in the manual or on the web somewhere.

If you are using different software then it could be any number of things. Make sure you get the baud rate right for one thing.

Thanks cqexbesd!

I had a cable made up to specifications from promise yesterday, baud is definitely right.

Still no luck!

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
I had a cable made up to specifications from promise yesterday, baud is definitely right.

Still no luck!

But you are using the same software setup that worked before?

IIRC the vtrak has a recovery mode - I don't know much about it but maybe Google can help. I think that caused others problems with console access.

Heathw27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Hi all, just in case anyone sees this and has a similar issue we resolved it by having the cable made again (First time it was made up it was only 20cm) this fixed the issue.

MincedGeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Where did you find the pin out schematics? My RAID died and I can't remember the IP (been mothballed a long time ago), and I can only access via console, but I don't have the right cable.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.