Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
I'm not really sure where to turn at this point...

I preordered the 128GB iPhone 13 Pro (two of them, actually) on day one of pre-orders. My wife and I traded in our iPhone XR's in the process. Being a bit of a skeptic, I actually screen-recorded the entire process (purchased through the Apple Store iOS app) and as such have clear proof of selecting the proper deal that offered $800 in worth of bill credits (spread out over 30 months). There was another option to finance through an Apple Card (which I don't have) and you'd receive $230 in credit. The deal specifically indicated that it may take 1-2 billing cycles to issue credit, so I haven't thought much of it since. Flash forward to today. I decided to check with Verizon and they said they have no record of my upgrade let alone even offering a promotion (uhhhh). They said there is nothing that can be done and I have to go through Apple. I remembered receiving an email a couple of weeks ago from Apple saying my trade in received, so I went back and double-checked the email and it said I received $230 in credit. I called Apple support today and explained the situation and offered to share the video (again, proving I selected the $800 credit via the Verizon Device Payment Program) but was told there isn't a way for me to send it to them, so the proof I have is basically useless and they're going to make a judgement call based off of whether or not they believe me. Or rather, whether or not they want to. I was told they would submit a request for a trade-in review and I'd hear back in 48 hours. I can't help but feel a little helpless in what I feel like should be a very straight-forward process to prove and correct. And we aren't talking about some small sum either. I did indeed receive $230 worth of device credit per my Verizon account, but that puts me $570 short, times two. $1140 is a big chunk of change that shouldn't be coming out of my pocket.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
you mind sharing screenshot of verizon offering 800 trade in through the apple store? i know they offer either apple trade in or verizon trade in but not both stacked.

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
you mind sharing screenshot of verizon offering 800 trade in through the apple store? i know they offer either apple trade in or verizon trade in but not both stacked.

Na that is normal. Apple trade in is instant and the rest of the promo difference is applied as a bill credit.

OP, is it possible you bought the unlocked model, rather than doing a Verizon upgrade? You would have had to enter your Verizon account details at checkout, select your lines, and confirm your eligibility.

Last edited:

Petrophas

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
I went through essentially the exact same situation and just got it resolved yesterday. Chat wasn’t willing to help but I scheduled a call back from “contact us” and the first guy picked up knew exactly what to do. He looked up the date of my original purchase and confirmed my trade in was received. He applied the trade in credit while I was on the phone and I can see it more on my expected future bill

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I had an issue with Verizon also - we did 2 phones - my wife's was received assessed and trade in credit applied immediately. Mine was, on the Verizon website, received and scheduled to be assessed but that status never changed (they lost it???) I received an email from Verizon saying they never received my phone so credit was being removed. After, 1 call and a chat with supervisor it seems resolved. Both said yes they had received the phone - but with their systems if everything isn't complete within a certain number of days they remove credit. However, they did say they have the phone so it was their issue and the next bill reflected the trade in etc.
I like their phone service but their systems aren't great.

Petrophas

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
I had an issue with Verizon also - we did 2 phones - my wife's was received assessed and trade in credit applied immediately. Mine was, on the Verizon website, received and scheduled to be assessed but that status never changed (they lost it???) I received an email from Verizon saying they never received my phone so credit was being removed. After, 1 call and a chat with supervisor it seems resolved. Both said yes they had received the phone - but with their systems if everything isn't complete within a certain number of days they remove credit. However, they did say they have the phone so it was their issue and the next bill reflected the trade in etc.
I like their phone service but their systems aren't great.
It seems like they have a disorganized system in place on purpose. Like they could easily clean it up with some better IT but it’s simply not a priority.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
so let me get this straight, you guys were able to get a 200 dollar trade in credit from apple on top of the 800 dollar trade in offer from verizon?

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021

I didn't say it was stacked. It is one or the other. I'm saying I clearly selected one, yet they gave me the other.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.PNG
    IMG_3882.PNG
    777.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: ilikewhey

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
so let me get this straight, you guys were able to get a 200 dollar trade in credit from apple on top of the 800 dollar trade in offer from verizon?
No. It's one or the other. I'm saying I selected the $800 trade in option (see screenshot) and they gave me the $230 instead.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.PNG
    IMG_3882.PNG
    777.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: ilikewhey

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
I went through essentially the exact same situation and just got it resolved yesterday. Chat wasn’t willing to help but I scheduled a call back from “contact us” and the first guy picked up knew exactly what to do. He looked up the date of my original purchase and confirmed my trade in was received. He applied the trade in credit while I was on the phone and I can see it more on my expected future bill
Did you go through Verizon or Apple to get it taken care of?

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Na that is normal. Apple trade in is instant and the rest of the promo difference is applied as a bill credit.

OP, is it possible you bought the unlocked model, rather than doing a Verizon upgrade? You would have had to enter your Verizon account details at checkout, select your lines, and confirm your eligibility.
Negative - it was definitely an upgrade. I had to enter my Vzw account info and it auto-populated my trade-in based on their records.

j3rry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Went back through my emails and came across one that specifically shows I made the purchase via the Vzw payment program through Apple. Verizon still won't listen and Apple initially denied the claim, although the person I talked to most recently (called back to escalate) seems to be a little more invested in making this right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.34.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.34.39 PM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 116
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.