Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help with this as I use this feature almost everyday.

Before upgrading to High Sierra, I would select multiple PDF's then double click and they all open in one window. Then I'm able to easily print to PDF, and all the PDF's are now in one document.

This isn't working in High Sierra.

I do have have 'Open all files in one window' checked in preferences.

Is this a bug within this new release or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
This looks like a bug.

As a work around -- or perhaps it's now the expected behaviour -- try opening all you PDFs then from the menu: Windows/Merge all Windows. At least, I think that's what you are after.

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Merge all windows just opens them in tabs. It doesn’t merge them as such. You can’t print to one single PDF that way.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
https://www.apple.com/feedback/

It's usually a waste of time of course, like talking to AppleDon'tCare staff on the phone, but it's all we have. :-(

So many bugs, so little fixes; hence updating desktop OS's is a 4-6 month post-release thing for experienced users.

shirleyyyyyyyyyyyy

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2018
I had the exact same problem and I think this is super stupid since I cannot search the keyword in all files at the same time. Very pissed off.

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
Not ideal, but workarounds are:
  • Open one of the PDFs and make sure thumbnails are visible in the sidebar. Open the next PDF and drag its thumbnails to the bottom of the first one. Repeat for further PDFs you have.
  • Start the app which is your printer, then drag the PDFs onto the icon in the dock or into the print queue window. The downside of this is that you don’t get any printing options. Maybe it uses the defaults stored at http://localhost:631

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.