Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anubis1347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I recently purchased a Mac Pro 5,1 and I'm trying to get my 1070 to work.

I Installed the latest Nvidia beta web driver for Sierra 10.12.5.The card itself has an 8 pin plug, so I tried a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter but it doesn't work.
I am able to screen share in to it and see the graphics card listed as Nvidia Chip Model 256 MB.

Since I'm new to the Mac Pros, my question is whether the card is not getting enough power and I have to get a second 6 pin power cable and use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter or am I barking up the wrong tree?

PurdueRPh

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
6 -pin plug is designed only to supply 75 W of power. 8-pin plug is designed to supply 150 W of power. Card needs more than what it can get from one 6-pin connector. Looking at card specs, card needs 150 W. You probably do need to get that dual 6-pin adapter.

Reactions: faneos

Anubis1347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
6 -pin plug is designed only to supply 75 W of power. 8-pin plug is designed to supply 150 W of power. Card needs more than what it can get from one 6-pin connector. Looking at card specs, card needs 150 W. You probably do need to get that dual 6-pin adapter.

Thanks for the confirmation. Just ordered the parts. I will update when they come in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.