Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fgduthie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with Handbrake just now to convert files (.avi, .mkv, .mpeg, .wmv to mp4). A few days back with .mkv files I was having up to ~550fps conversion rate, but now for the same file type I seem to be also getting ~72fps. I've updated the program to see if this is the issue but can anyone else suggest anything to try and remedy this please? Or suggest an alternative program?

Many thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It may be the same file type (container), but the resolution and other video characteristics in the container may be way different.

All these conversion GUIs basically use the same ffmpg processes built into the OS, one may open more threads than others and may be slightly more efficient setting up. Handbrake out of the box uses all available CPU cores and you are not going to find anything much faster.

Also check activity monitor for other processes that may be hogging CPU. Try a restart.

Perhaps reconvert one of the old videos and see if its slower or faster.

fgduthie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
It may be the same file type (container), but the resolution and other video characteristics in the container may be way different.

All these conversion GUIs basically use the same ffmpg processes built into the OS, one may open more threads than others and may be slightly more efficient setting up. Handbrake out of the box uses all available CPU cores and you are not going to find anything much faster.

Also check activity monitor for other processes that may be hogging CPU. Try a restart.

Perhaps reconvert one of the old videos and see if its slower or faster.

Cool cheers. Yeah, I restart every morning so I think it's ok. The only thing with the Activity monitor is that it says that Handbrake is currently using 629.1% of my CPU usage. Ignoring the fact that it's over 100%, I'm not sure how to reduce this? I've not changed any settings, just setup for the new filetype and removed any subtitles that were/if present so any hints would be greatly appreciated

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you have 8 CPU cores and HB is using 7 of them, it shows 700% usage. More usage better/faster, so you don't want to reduce. If anything else is using the CPU it will slow down HB.

Are you sure the original video resolution, frame rate, codec, or something else is the same as it was before? I think you can open the source in Quicktime and open an inspector window to get the video characteristic. Open a new one and old on and see if there is any difference.

fgduthie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
If you have 8 CPU cores and HB is using 7 of them, it shows 700% usage. More usage better/faster, so you don't want to reduce. If anything else is using the CPU it will slow down HB.

Are you sure the original video resolution, frame rate, codec, or something else is the same as it was before? I think you can open the source in Quicktime and open an inspector window to get the video characteristic. Open a new one and old on and see if there is any difference.

Ah ok, that makes abit of sense then. I've had to put a fan tray under the laptop and another fan on it to keep the computer cool. I shall see how it works, as it has slowed down further now to ~30fps. TBH I've not checked the original files recently but I shall try. They have increased the file size unfortunately, almost double now.

It may just take a long time, .avi files seem to be at normal speeds, just .mkv seems to be causing issues. I shall see if it's due to a lack of disc space maybe aswell. Hmmm, thanks for the suggestions though

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I would guess that the mkv videos are more HD video than the avi and it takes a lot more time and space to convert those. Significant jumps.

fgduthie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
I would guess that the mkv videos are more HD video than the avi and it takes a lot more time and space to convert those. Significant jumps.

Aye, I think so. It seems that I can't reduce the file size at all which is annoying. Seems to mean a season will be about ~19gb of disc space. Which will be fun. Do you know of any way to "compress" the file size afterwards? Or am I just being extremely hopeful?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Aye, I think so. It seems that I can't reduce the file size at all which is annoying. Seems to mean a season will be about ~19gb of disc space. Which will be fun. Do you know of any way to "compress" the file size afterwards? Or am I just being extremely hopeful?
If your files are not from your own blueray or DVD, hand brake can't do much to compress a allready highly compressed file. Expect 1080p to be around 2ish gigs per hour. Give or take based of the source. The only way to possibly make the files smaller is to reduce your frame down to 720p and even better at 480p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.