Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
Hi,
I have some annoying issues with the mail app.
1) In preferences the options "Highlight messages with color when not grouped" and "include all related messages" are checked. I have unchecked the option to show most recent messages at the top (this had been checked previously but I unchecked it to see if it helps).
The scenario: I received a message from person a. Now I forwarded this message to someone else (person b). Then I replied to the original mail (person a). In the meantime I received an answer from person b.

Now in my inbox I don't see the original message except in the mail thread with person b? I wasn't really expecting the original mail to vanish... Guess I'm using these options wrong? I would still like my Inbox to show me the original mail that was sent to me in the first place without having to search for it.

2) In the scenario above, I searched for the original mail because I wanted to answer it. After I found it in the (other) thread and double clicked on it (it gets a blue frame) I clicked on the reply button - now the text from the original mail that I wanted to reply to is gone. I had double clicked because I was hoping the mail would be opened in a separate window.
If I single click it and press reply, everything works fine. So I assume the double click does something else? What?

3) Ever since migrating to macOS Sierra I have two new folders (one for each of the mail accounts I use on my mac) called "Recovered Messages...". I know this isn't new and did some research but all the tips I found were for older or *very old* Mac OS X versions and don't seem to apply to Mail (10.1). For some reason a lot of mail are stored here (duplicate). Some are mails that I sent, others that I received (even junk mails).
I really would like to get rid of these folders.

Hope I can get some pointers to fix these issues or to understand what I'm doing wrong.

erich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.