Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
Has anyone tried using MobileMe Backup utility? I backup with Time Capsule and also with SuperDuper (bootable image of my MacBook). I also wanted to backup my iTunes and Aperture libraries to iDisk (offsite) just in case a fire, tornado, or meteorite destroys my house. I tried to backup my 16GB Aperture library and 5GB iTunes library several times. Every time I have been getting server interruption errors and the backup stops. I am using the Backup application in the Software folder from my iDisk. Anyone had success backing-up using iDisk Backup utility? Any suggestions why my backups are not working?

rodjam

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
Backup is limited to about 90MB

The Backup application will not work for large, or even moderate backups. Apple claims there is a limit of about 90MB for a backup set. I have been able to make one a bit larger than 100MB, but never larger than that. Backup is essentially worthless on the iDisk for anything but very small backups.

What I do to archive my files to the iDisk is use Transmit (from Panic) to transfer everything in my Documents folder to the Documents folder on the iDisk. Transmit has a synchronization feature that allows you to sync directories over the network, which also works with the iDisk. I do all of this manually, which isn't as nice as Backup's automatic daily backup feature.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Has anyone tried using MobileMe Backup utility? I backup with Time Capsule and also with SuperDuper (bootable image of my MacBook). I also wanted to backup my iTunes and Aperture libraries to iDisk (offsite) just in case a fire, tornado, or meteorite destroys my house. I tried to backup my 16GB Aperture library and 5GB iTunes library several times. Every time I have been getting server interruption errors and the backup stops. I am using the Backup application in the Software folder from my iDisk. Anyone had success backing-up using iDisk Backup utility? Any suggestions why my backups are not working?

First of all... you are very smart to want to back-up offsite.

My recommendation is that you use one of the subscription services that specialize automated off-site backup. Two that I am fond of are Mozy.com and Crashplan.com. The advantages between them (in my opinion):

- Mozy: A subsidiary of EMC which is the considered by most to be the world's leader in storage technology
- Crashplan: A lot of interesting options and features... the one that I value the most is unlimited versioning... even for your deleted files.

Both are good, and both are very inexpensive. Everyone should be using some sort of automated off-site backup if at all possible (ie: if they have a high speed internet connection).

/Jim

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
The Backup application will not work for large, or even moderate backups. Apple claims there is a limit of about 90MB for a backup set. I have been able to make one a bit larger than 100MB, but never larger than that. Backup is essentially worthless on the iDisk for anything but very small backups.

What I do to archive my files to the iDisk is use Transmit (from Panic) to transfer everything in my Documents folder to the Documents folder on the iDisk. Transmit has a synchronization feature that allows you to sync directories over the network, which also works with the iDisk. I do all of this manually, which isn't as nice as Backup's automatic daily backup feature.

Thanks. I saw the app Cyberduck which also allows you to transfer files via FTP and WebDev (MobileMe). I just downloaded it (for free) and am trying it out. So far, it seems pretty good. I will try downloading some big files when later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.