Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjones99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
I recently purchased an LG 38WK95C monitor and I am pulling my hair out trying to get a reasonable resolution.

The monitor's native resolution is 3840 x 1600 @ 75Hz. When I connect with USB-C, the "default resolution" comes up as 1920x800 @ 60Hz. Looks nice but half the resolution I want and everything is huge. When I scale it to 3840x1600 (@ 60Hz) the fonts are very blurry. I have also tried other resolutions (clicking option and then scaled) but I can't find a nice balance - any setting where the fonts look good the size is too large. Under Mac/About/Graphics Displays you can see it thinks it's connecting to a Television. (see below). I think this is the issue given what I have read, although forcing to RGB mode doesn't help.

I have spent numerous hours on the phone with "senior advisors" at Apple but no luck. LG has been all but useless. I have no issues connecting this monitor to my windows desktop, so I am pretty sure it's not the monitor. Also, I have tried on other MacBooks and the same issue, so unlikely it's my MBP. I have tried using HDMI, DP, swapping cables, etc. I have read many articles on similar situations, with both LG, Dell and others. It seems like these issues are more common with ultra-wide monitors (34+) than those with a 16:9 aspect ratio. I have read about several solutions, using SwitchResX, RDP etc. but nothing works. I have also tinkered around with the font smoothing through the terminal. I have done all sorts of resets, VRAM, etc.

My question is as follows:
1. Is there actually a solution or is it just a function of the aspect ratio, resolution, and size? I am in the return period.
2. If the answer to 1 is no, is there a particular configuration I should be focusing on? I really want a 21:9 aspect ratio and a size between 34 and 38. I could go to 43" but those are all 16:9. I would love a 49" but I don't really have the desk to accommodate that.

any advice?

View attachment 1868829

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.