Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I have used iStat Menus for years without issue. However, since the last update, I get the spinning beachball and the Finder locks up. Looking in Activity Monitor shows components of iStat Menus not responding. Seems iStat is doing something that affects disk access.

I completely removed iStat Menus using AppCleaner and the problem is gone.
Reinstalled a fresh download of iStat Menus and the problem returned.

Any ideas as to why iStat Menus is suddenly not working?

I a running:
iMac M1 with 16GB RAM
macOS 13.2.1

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
The developer has responded and confirmed the issue. Not sure why it never occurred in the past but I can no longer use iStat Menus...

Is it possible to turn off disk space monitoring?

=================================================
Hi RUQRU,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, that is a macOS issue where disk space api freezes. It is more noticeable in iStat Menus because we update disk space frequently.

Kind regards,
Bjango Support

Reactions: Ledgem and KaliYoni

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I would like to know how to do that, but I don't think we can. Needs an iStat Menus update.

I want it turned off because disk space monitoring floods the Unified Logging system, particularly if you have many APFS volumes.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I would like to know how to do that, but I don't think we can. Needs an iStat Menus update.

I want it turned off because disk space monitoring floods the Unified Logging system, particularly if you have many APFS volumes.
I asked the developer if they can implement an option to turn off disk space monitoring and therefore avoid the API.

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I asked the developer if they can implement an option to turn off disk space monitoring and therefore avoid the API.
Good. I had a discussion with Support mid-February. Accepted my issue with excessive indirect logging, but no promises. The more people that raise issues, the more likely to get an option.

rami3l

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023
The developer has responded and confirmed the issue. Not sure why it never occurred in the past but I can no longer use iStat Menus...

Hi RUQRU,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, that is a macOS issue where disk space api freezes. It is more noticeable in iStat Menus because we update disk space frequently.

Kind regards,
Bjango Support
I have a 2023 MacBook Pro and I also suffer from this issue. Here the main problem is that occasionally both Safari and iStat freeze after waking up.

I disabled the "disks" widget and it seems to stop iStat from freezing (but Safari still does), I think this is still a problem on macOS' side anyway...

1683250460437.png

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Have y'all considered switching to Stats? It's FOSS and the UI is nice and clean
Yes, I have looked at it. Particularly to replace iStat's disk section. But the disk graphs show every volume when what is wanted is every physical disk. Overall, I felt that it was not up to the standard of iStat Menus.

Dane_Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
I tried turning off the disk part of iStat but that didn't entirely help. Turning off the Sensors section as well seemed to stop the sudden freezing of the menu bar, so I am guessing that if this is because a MacOS API locks up every so often, that is related to both disk and some sensor information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.