Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I am trying to get pre-qualified for the new iPhone on Friday morning, and I have been using the iPhone upgrade program for a few years now to get this done, so I am definitely enrolled.

Anyone else having this same issue, and if so have you found a solution?

Thank you!

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I am trying to get pre-qualified for the new iPhone on Friday morning, and I have been using the iPhone upgrade program for a few years now to get this done, so I am definitely enrolled.

Thank you!

I have this problem also. And check in settings to see what warranty it says you have. Mine used to say AppleCare+, which it should have... but at some point changed to say limited warranty about to expire.
Just spoke to Apple (they had to transfer me up), and was told there is a known issue affecting a number of people. They put in an "escalated ticket", and said it should be resolved within 48 hours. Unfortunately that means we cannot place launch day pre-order if it isn't fixed in time.

IspepAloc

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have this problem also. And check in settings to see what warranty it says you have. Mine used to say AppleCare+, which it should have... but at some point changed to say limited warranty about to expire.
Just spoke to Apple (they had to transfer me up), and was told there is a known issue affecting a number of people. They put in an "escalated ticket", and said it should be resolved within 48 hours. Unfortunately that means we cannot place launch day pre-order if it isn't fixed in time.
I'm in the same boat.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006

I called in. Waited an hour and got the guy to escalate. Same 48 hour resolution. We’ll see.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Wow, that blows. Every year they seem to screw something up. 12yrs later and here we are.

[doublepost=1568234772][/doublepost]
I called in. Waited an hour and got the guy to escalate. Same 48 hour resolution. We’ll see.

Ya, I joined the IUP because I assumed Apples program was more streamlined and simpler. Pretty disappointing. I don't see how it could be so complex that so many people have an issue.
I guess if there is any consulation it's that this seems like a year that inventory shortage won't be an issue, and not placing an order immediately at launch won't have much impact.

On a side note, did I see correctly that pre-orders are at 5:00am PST this time? If so, I assume that's to make up for people on the east coast always having to get up at 3:00am...

Last edited:
Reactions: Givmeabrek

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Had same issue last year. After many calls, broken promises (it will be fixed in 48 hours was one of them), and almost 2 weeks it got fixed. Nothing happened until I started dealing with the executive relations team.

Good luck to all impacted by this.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Just for sh*ts and giggles I opened the apple store app and tried to do the pre-qualification again, and this time it went right through without any problems, only thing I had to do was input my Verizon pin on one of the steps and now I have an 11 Pro Max Midnight Green 256 waiting for me.

Wonder if they are slowly getting things fixed before tomorrow night...

mudshine

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
I still can't but hopefully mine will work soon! I keep calling and getting nowhere. I was on hold for about 10 minutes for the lady to tell me it would be fixed within 24 hours (it's past that).

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I still can't but hopefully mine will work soon! I keep calling and getting nowhere. I was on hold for about 10 minutes for the lady to tell me it would be fixed within 24 hours (it's past that).

Just checked and mine finally fixed. Went to settings and it now shows Applecare+, so i went to Apple Store App and completed pre-approval successfully. So maybe yours will update/fix soon as well...

mudshine

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
Just checked and mine finally fixed. Went to settings and it now shows Applecare+, so i went to Apple Store App and completed pre-approval successfully. So maybe yours will update/fix soon as well...

Finally worked! I’ll make sure to check this time around to make sure it’s registered correctly. Like you, about an hour after the AppleCare showed up, I was able to order

willhoite

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019

Thank you!
I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve been on iUP since the iPhone 6S. I’ve been trying to get pre-qualified too and I’m being told by Apple’s website that I’m not enrolled either.

I spent probably a half-hour to an hour on the phone yesterday with three different departments of Apple Support. At the end all they said was, “well it looks like it’s an error on our end.” No ****! When I asked what I could do, the guy said for me to just wait until Friday and try it again. Yeah that seems like a good strategy...

He told me he’s going to “escalate” my cases and call me back on Friday. I’m not getting my hopes up.

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I am having this problem this year and my communications with Apple have gotten me nowhere. I have an 11 Pro Max that is an AppleCare replacement. I have provided Apple with my IUP loan number, screen shots showing that the Apple Store recognizes it as part of the program under My Devices, and screen shots showing that the Apple Store says it is not part of the IUP when I check upgrade and enrollment status. Apple has done nothing since I first contacted them on Tuesday.

Any suggestions from folks who went through this in previous years or this year?

I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve been on iUP since the iPhone 6S. I’ve been trying to get pre-qualified too and I’m being told by Apple’s website that I’m not enrolled either.

I spent probably a half-hour to an hour on the phone yesterday with three different departments of Apple Support. At the end all they said was, “well it looks like it’s an error on our end.” No ****! When I asked what I could do, the guy said for me to just wait until Friday and try it again. Yeah that seems like a good strategy...

He told me he’s going to “escalate” my cases and call me back on Friday. I’m not getting my hopes up.

• Angry
Reactions: DBZmusicboy01

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
Same thing here. The customer service rep for Apple was useless and suggested I call Citizens Bank. I decided to just pay the remaining balance off so I now just own it outright and can decide if I want to sell/trade it in to upgrade or keep it another year.

Huge PITA and let down this many people are impacted.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I'm now having this issue. I've been part of the Apple Upgrade Program for years and never had this issue. I was considering paying my balance and moving to using the Apple Card financing...this may have pushed me to leave the Apple Upgrade Program...

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
So I then contacted Apple Chat and was told someone would call me with experience on this issue. After getting transferred to another person on the phone (3 people total including chat) I was told that I cannot preorder the iPhone 12 Pro Max until tomorrow...11/6 (tomorrow is 11/5). Lol.

I kept telling the person on the phone that I was trying to do the preapproval but they kept saying I would have to wait until tomorrow for preordering...

:rolleyes:

Stay patient people...stay patient...

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wow, that blows. Every year they seem to screw something up. 12yrs later and here we are.
Agree you would think between Apple and carriers, they would have the process smooth as silk by now, but yet devices still have IMEIs missing from databases on launch day, amongst other issues

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Had the same issue a few years ago;brutal experience. Many calls/hours on the phone. I actually messaged Cook directly. It got assigned to executive team and it finally god fixed. Good luck!

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Had the same issue a few years ago;brutal experience. Many calls/hours on the phone. I actually messaged Cook directly. It got assigned to executive team and it finally god fixed. Good luck!
To be clear, this issue has to be fixed by Apple and not Citizens?

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Apple needed to fix.
Thanks.

I decided to just pay off the remainder of my loan with Citizens and apply for the Apple Card and do their 24 month no interest financing.

I've had a few issues with Apple and Citizens in the past using this Upgrade Program and I'd rather use the card. I was thinking of going this direction anyways...this gave me the nudge.

Good luck to anyone else.

After going to the Apple Card Approval process I was able to secure my pre-approval for the 12 Pro Max.

Reactions: slippery-pete

Tcb3

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
East Antifa Heights
It’s Sept. 2021 and this problem is still ongoing. It’s been a full week, I’ve spent hours with support, I’m fully escalated, have a support tech who has decided to ignore me, still not resolved. Absolutely unreal. I can’t even get out of it until they resolve it. When i go to upgrade my phone it is “looks like you’re not on the program” and when i go to trade it in “you can’t trade it in because you’re on the upgrade program”. Maddening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.