Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Oh well… I guess I need your advice here.

I accidentally put my AW 6 SS to the crash test. It failed, understandably.

Someone in other thread called Series 6 Space Black “unassuming” — in a sense that it blends in with everything. He was right: it blended with the black fabrics of my outfits so great that I actually forgot it was there. I just grabbed my pants and for one enormously long second watched my AW fall on the tiled floor.

So the screen is shattered at the top and there’s the crack which goes all the way down the screen. Since it’s a Hermes edition Apple wants to charge me the maximum price for the repair (as far as I understand it’s 400$, or more likely 400 Eur as I’m gonna bring it to the european Apple Store).

Right before this unfortunate episode I wanted to replace the battery. I’ve read here that someone was charged 249$ for the battery replacement because the screen on the watch was considered “damaged”, but he ended up getting a new refurbished model. Is that how it works? I doubt that Apple will let me have both the new screen and a battery just for 250 Eur, more likely I will pay both for the battery AND the screen repair.

The question is — should I just bring it in for the battery or should I repair the screen at first?

Thank you very much in advance.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If Apple insists on screwing you in repair costs as they always do, and a refurb is cheaper overall, then I think I know what I'd do in this situation.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
If Apple insists on screwing you in repair costs as they always do, and a refurb is cheaper overall, then I think I know what I'd do in this situation.
The thing is, there are no Apple stores in my country, so I don’t know what they’re gonna do and I have to plan in advance. If they insist on screen repair anyway, then I’ll get it done on my next trip soon, as it obviously won’t take more than a couple of hours. This whole thing with battery replacement takes a couple of weeks as I was told last week in London’s Apple store.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Once Apple sees the cracked screen they will want to replace the watch for that reason regardless of battery condition. If you send it in for battery replacement I give it a 99% chance they refuse the exchange and say the screen needs to be repaired which will actually fix both issues for 400 euro

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
My watch 6 died a different way than yours did, mine was run over by a car. While attached to my arm. Yeah the car went over me too. But I could be fixed , but because of the way that Apple wants to fix things ( very expensive) I just had to get another one. For a company that is always trying about how environmentally friendly they are, it seems strange that they make everything so that you can’t afford to fix it because it’s just cheaper to give up and buy a new one. Kinda shows where Apple really has their mind. Money.
You are most likely in the same position, just get another one and learn from the experience. Kinda sucks in my opinion.

• Sad
Reactions: arthur486

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
My watch 6 died a different way than yours did, mine was run over by a car. While attached to my arm. Yeah the car went over me too. But I could be fixed , but because of the way that Apple wants to fix things ( very expensive) I just had to get another one. For a company that is always trying about how environmentally friendly they are, it seems strange that they make everything so that you can’t afford to fix it because it’s just cheaper to give up and buy a new one. Kinda shows where Apple really has their mind. Money.
You are most likely in the same position, just get another one and learn from the experience. Kinda sucks in my opinion.
Oh Gosh, I hope you're feeling better now? As someone who had broken elbows (3 times, 2 surgeries), I really feel for you!

Mine's AW still working though... Yes, it's unpleasant to look at but I'd say even 400$ is still cheaper than the new SS models they have in store. But I know what you mean, it still sucks to pay virtually the same amount of money I could get out of selling it.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Apple will request that a replacement screen is paid for first before any battery change is made because the screen has to come off to get access to the battery. The reasons can be complicated but I will try and make it simple. I've been in the repair business for many many years and one common request from customers is that they only wanted a certain thing/part replaced/repaired but the problem is to get at that thing/part other things had to be removed and if the other things got damaged the customer would complain that the repair person/company damaged their item and thus they should repair it free of charge. I have seen that happen many many times in my repair career and the way to stop this is to make a request to the company that before any attempt is made to repair their item, the already damaged parts are replaced first because it is near on impossible to remove a damage part and put it back in the exact same damage way. So take the AW for example, a customer may have a cracked screen but it happy with it and just want's the battery changed but getting at the battery means having to remove the screen. If the repairer cracks the screen even more than it already was, upon returning it to the customer with a brand new battery, the customer could complain that the screen is now more damaged than it was and thus it should be repaired for free.

Apple are very wise to put a stop to this practice by requesting that existing damage is repaired first with costs being charged to the customer. Thus Apple will not even go near your watch until the screen is replaced at your expense.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just send it in requesting to repair the screen. Apple will likely give you a refurbished model rather than actually replacing the screen. Thus, you will end up with a watch with new battery, therefore no need to pay to replace the battery.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Just send it in requesting to repair the screen. Apple will likely give you a refurbished model rather than actually replacing the screen. Thus, you will end up with a watch with new battery, therefore no need to pay to replace the battery.
Thank you. Will do

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Omg seriously are you ok? The watch is the least of the concern here - hope you recovered well and all ok!

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
bruh literally the exact same way I shattered my old Apple Watch, got out of the shower and it fell onto the tiled floor.

• Sad
Reactions: Alexander_im

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
Aaah, death by shower tile!!! Just dropped my SE in the YMCA shower after my swim yesterday and it seriously cracked from the tile floor, as expected. Made it 2 years with the cheapy tempered glass bumper cases from Amazon providing great ( sacrificial) protection, but I always needed to remove the case for swimming (or any watersports) since water would quickly get under the case screen making the Haptic Touch useless. Oh well, my bad.

Repair not worth it for me either so I ordered a new SE2 yesterday. Ultra and 8 way more than I need. Gonna try out a cheapy $9 “water-compatible” Amazon bumper-screen and if that doesn’t last I might go for an OtterBox bumper (no screen to worry about). Very happy with the SE for my favorite watersport activities (foiling, swimming, SUPing) otherwise!

Attachments

• 9F459849-F692-495C-B936-976625E91FE1.png
    9F459849-F692-495C-B936-976625E91FE1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: areyes163
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.