Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Clear somthing up for me please guys... No not that, I already got cream for that ;)

The new Intel duo cores... from think secret

"The dual-core version of Yonah, which sources say will be marketed as "Centrino Duo," will be available in a low-voltage version at speeds of 1.5GHz, 1.66GHz, and 1.83GHz, while a faster "performance" version will ship at speeds of 1.66GHz, 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, and 2.16GHz. Bus speeds and L2 cache are expected to remain the same between the variants, at 667MHz and 2MB, respectively"
--
Question then is this. Are the low-voltage versions as fast as there higher voltage brothers? If so why not just have low-voltage versions??

If performance on low-voltage 1.83 is worse than the high-voltage 1.83 how can they be called the same clock speed? Just :confused:

Your help in understanding this is appreciated as it will help me decide between imac and macbookpro purchase.

Thanks..

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
MacRumorUser said:
Question then is this. Are the low-voltage versions as fast as there higher voltage brothers? If so why not just have low-voltage versions??

The low-voltage versions running at the same speed as their high voltage brethren are exactly as fast. The reason not to use low-voltage versions everywhere is simple. They cost more. A lower speed low-voltage version will probably cost as much as a much faster speed high-voltage one. I'm sure someone can dig up the current bulk price points.

When Intel make chips they grade the chips due to how fast they can run. The 'worst' end up as low speed, high voltage chips. The best end up either being high speed high-voltage or middle speed low-voltage. The best of the best of the best will be the fastest speed low-voltage chips.
This is why overclockers in the PC world often like to use mobile processors over desktop processors. The mobile ones run at a lower voltage and if they are pumped up with more voltage they tend to overclock bucketloads. I had an Athlon XP-M that ran at 2.8Ghz on air which made it faster than any desktop XP chip that AMD had out at the time.

Spanky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.