Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Recently I've grown tired of having my desktop becoming a mess after massive download benders and was wanting to use the "Downloads" folder instead-- I even put its folder in the dock.

But whenever I download something it goes into the folder but a few seconds later it moves to the Desktop... can anybody help me with whats going on here?

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Yep, I have the preferences set to use it. But like I said, if I download something it WILL go into the Downloads folder but a few seconds later it moves to the Desktop... I've never seen this sort of problem.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you see this happen? ie it vanishes from the downloads folder, then appears on the desktop? try pointing safari to a different folder (for example, create a 'test' folder in your home folder), see how that goes...

btw, you've rebooted?

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
This has been happening for the past 2 months, I kept trying it on and off hoping it would fix itself but no dice... I've rebooted many times since then.

I don't even have to download a file for it to happen. If I go in Finder and open the Downloads folder I can drag a file into it and about 2 or 3 seconds later *POP* the file moves to the Desktop.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It may not be the case but that behavior sounds like there's a "Folder Action" doing that. Check this folder:

~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions

to see if there's anything in there.

Reactions: fisherking

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This has been happening for the past 2 months, I kept trying it on and off hoping it would fix itself but no dice... I've rebooted many times since then.

I don't even have to download a file for it to happen. If I go in Finder and open the Downloads folder I can drag a file into it and about 2 or 3 seconds later *POP* the file moves to the Desktop.

and did you try my suggestion? (to select a different folder to download to?)...

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
It may not be the case but that behavior sounds like there's a "Folder Action" doing that. Check this folder:

~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions

to see if there's anything in there.

Thats what was causing it! I could swear I never put it in there but there was a folder action from several years ago telling it to move files automatically to the Desktop! O.O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.