Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, silly/dumb question...

If I am going to do a clean install of Tiger, should I deauthorize my computer for playing purchased music before installing Tiger?

(in other words with a clean install, will iTMS think my computer is another computer...and thus have two computers that are authorized?)

What does iTMS use to "authenticate" a computer?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mac-er said:
Ok, silly/dumb question...

If I am going to do a clean install of Tiger, should I deauthorize my computer for playing purchased music before installing Tiger?

(in other words with a clean install, will iTMS think my computer is another computer...and thus have two computers that are authorized?)

What does iTMS use to "authenticate" a computer?

i believe the iTMS uses your MAC address to check the computer, but i could be wrong, i have done clean installs of Panther on my system without deauthorizing my computer and it still shows that i only have one authorized computer so i dont think you have to worry about it

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It certainly can't hurt to deauthorize before a clean install... it may/may not be required but 1 click to deauthorize and another to reauthorize certainly can't hurt.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Just to be safe, I think that I would deauthorize and reauthorize. I had some problems with this once, and had to have apple reset my authorizations. Less of a problem now that they allow more computers to be authorized, but still....better safe than sorry. Though, it really isn't all that big of a deal to have apple reset the authorizations for you. Just my two cents.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
yoda13 said:
Just to be safe, I think that I would deauthorize and reauthorize. I had some problems with this once, and had to have apple reset my authorizations. Less of a problem now that they allow more computers to be authorized, but still....better safe than sorry. Though, it really isn't all that big of a deal to have apple reset the authorizations for you. Just my two cents.

I had them do that once (forget to deauthorize a computer I sold), and the email they sent back acted like they had parted the Red Sea for me ("we don't normally do this, but..) :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
daveway00 said:
It does go by MAC address and maybe serial #.
Hey, placeofdis, how do you check how many computers you have authorized?

go to the iTMS, click your email address up in the top right of the window, this will take you to your account info where it lets you know how many machines are arthorized to play your music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.