Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The iPod gets to use the nifty little iTrip to connect to a radio. I want to connect my Powerbook to my stereo (across the room.) Can I use the same idea but with a Belkin Tunecast instead? There have been rumors of a background hiss with that device.

iMax531

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
SF Bay Area/JHU
maybe

You could give it a shot... I tried to do the same thing. I have the Belkin system, and the problem is it only broadcasts between 88.1 and 88.7, and where I live, all those frequencies are taken.

The other problem is that yes, it can block out very very very weak signas, but the stronger the signal it tries to block out, you will hear hiss. And regardless, the sound quality will most likely be sub-par.

I would recommend, if you really want to use an FM broadcaster, get an iTrip. I believe they can broadcast over a larger range. I couldn't get one because when I ordered they had a long backorder and I needed it for a road trip....

That all said, if you want to connect them and get high quality sound, look in to finding the right cables and do it by wire. Old School, but still more reliable I'm afraid.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I don't know if the powerbook has the right powered audio out port for the iTrip. I know the iBook does but i'm not sure about the Powerbook. It was kind cool with my iBook but it was never great because it would make the computer site wrong unless you cut off the firewire holders which I actually found quite nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.