Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It is security - they don't want the ability for downloads to come from anywhere but iTunes or directly on the device. How else do they make sure it is legit software and not someone spoofing a legit store

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
It is security - they don't want the ability for downloads to come from anywhere but iTunes or directly on the device. How else do they make sure it is legit software and not someone spoofing a legit store
Ok so I use iTunes(which I'm fine with in the first place): why do I have to download the app to my computer(fills up space fast on SSD)?
How do I specify once downloaded if I want it to automatically go to my iPhone, iPad or both??? (Currently it's just if Apple ID purchase and auto download is on, it goes to any device when purchased).
No one said to have an AppStore that was only web based ditching iTunes; rather why can I not remote install apps to devices using my Apple ID easily as the play store does? I don't think the fact that it (PlayStore) has a web interface is fueling that functionality.

Reactions: scottylans

scottylans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008

You're not thinking 3Dimensionally.
When you sit at your iPad, open the app store on it and select an app to install it's all wireless nowadays over your wifi. They know it's you because you logged in to your iPad.

Now, Apple allow you to authenticate on the web to do things such as
Update credit card information
Change passwords
Wipe entire devices
Delete your ENTIRE Apple account.

Therefore, Apple are comfortable trusting you are who you say you are over a https site.
Why can't there be a login to store link for each application page?
[doublepost=1460321052][/doublepost]
OP is saying it's 2016, why can't he do it the way he described, which is something various other platforms support, but not iOS.

There's always one, in the old days, a lot more. Im glad to see that for the most part it's just people having a discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyOS

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
On iOS device, if you don't want newly purchased app being installed on a certain device, turn auto download for that device off. Problem solved. Different ways to achieve the same goal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.