Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
For some reason I have bad luck with all of those third-party ports other than TFF, they just end up laggy or in the case of Firefox Legacy completely broken. Could just be the machines I use, not sure. Plenty of other people report success though.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Why exactly is Mavericks bad for web browsing? As mentioned, you can use Firefox ESR. Still gets security updates and everything works.

Suffice to say I do 90% of my web browsing via Firefox on Mavericks.

Last edited:

donesoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
Glad to see that others are still using Mavericks. I'm running on a late 2010 11" MBA which is capable of going up to High Sierra, but is sluggish. I've used El Cap on this machine too which was OK but reverted back to Mavericks which runs fast and cool with decent battery life.

I've been browsing with Firefox and still use Office 2011 for productivity, but have been thinking about what to do after ESR 78 is no longer supported. Of the other browsers I tried, Waterfox Classic seems to work best for me but is a little slower and older. Upgrading to El Cap (Chrome still supported) or Sierra/High Sierra are options too.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I've just decided I'm not going to worry too much about browser support until Firefox 78 is EOL'd. Since Tiger users can still browse the web, I'm relatively confident there will be options for Mavericks, which work on at least 98% of websites.

The question is how much of that last 2% will be viewable, and I don't think there's any point in trying to answer that right now.

I actually managed to get the latest version of Chromium running on Mavericks last weekend, but I had to disable web fonts, which is sucky. https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/issues/2#issuecomment-766527613

Reactions: Amethyst1

donesoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
I cloned my Mavericks drive on my 11” late-2010 and installed Sierra to try it out. It feels more laggy than El Cap on the same machine. It is not unusable but is not the speeding joy of Mavericks (or SL).

So, back to 10.9 for me. I’m in the same boat, will go to EOL with Firefox and see what’s available then. This is a secondary machine anyway, and it has already outlived its expected lifespan by 2x. What a great era of Mac.

Ifitaintbrokedontfixit

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
It is mid-August 2021 and I am still happily using OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks as my main OS on my desktop computer (Mac mini late 2012) and laptop computer (MacBook Air mid 2013); actually the hard drive of the latter is just a clone of the former, cloned with SuperDuper!

I would say that people probably shouldn't still be using Mavericks like me unless, like me, they are a Mac power user and are happy with Mavericks. I use MacPorts to install and use the most recent versions of the bash shell and command-line tools, recent versions of Python, etc. I also use VMware Fusion Pro to run other operating systems, including macOS 10.12 Sierra, within Mavericks as host OS. I use the application firewall Little Snitch for added security. I keep JavaScript disabled in Safari and never use Safari to browse the web; all web browsing is in Firefox ESR (extended support release). Also for security, I don't connect to public wi-fi hotspots from Mavericks.

I told myself that I would look into upgrading the OS when Firefox ESR stopped receiving updates for Mavericks, which was due to happen in July 2021, but a week ago another update was released. I suspect my Mavericks era may be over by the end of the year, but not because I'm not happy with my setup. I'll just keep riding this wave as long as I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: R2FX

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I'm still using it. I've tweaked my install pretty heavily to make it suit my needs so I'm unwilling to move on until web browsing becomes unbearable like what happened with Snow Leopard... I really hope someone comes out with a legacy browser for this OS in a few years so I can jump from ESR to it. Excellent system software and I plan to install it on any potential Mac purchases from here on out.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
It's October 2022, and I'm still using Mavericks on my 2011 iMac. Points to note:

1. I have a Parallels VM running Sierra for when I really have to run a later OS but I have to say that's not often, currently!

2. Browsers (the hoary old problem of running old OSs):
- Firefox ESR (78) still runs for pretty much all sites; even those where it stopped, such as Netflix, ITV, and Channel 4, now run ok again.
- for everything else, I use Chromium Legacy which is the latest version of Chrome adapted for 10.7 - 10.9. You can find it here in the topic https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...gle-chrome-for-os-x-10-7-10-9.2283612/page-10 (go to an early page)

Why do I run Mavericks still? Three reasons, at least...
1. I can run iTunes 10
2. Journler - the best app of its kind ever written
3. Hear, an awesome audio enhancer, still runs (by Sierra it doesn't).

Last edited:
Reactions: R2FX

donesoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
Last week I moved on to a MacBook Air M1 running Ventura. 13 years on the 2010 MBA was a great run but the M1 is faster, cooler, and lasts much longer on battery.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Last week I moved on to a MacBook Air M1 running Ventura. 13 years on the 2010 MBA was a great run but the M1 is faster, cooler, and lasts much longer on battery.
This is a forum devoted to Mavericks - you might want to repost somewhere else?.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Unfortunately, Netflix won't run in Mavericks any longer. Everything else (so far) is ok. Prime Video says my (Firefox 78 ESR) browser is out of date and needs to be updated to run after December 6th ..................... 2020 !! Still running...

rguisand

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
I just got an used Macbook Air 11' 2014 (A1465) and for some reason I had to format it with internet recovery installing Mavericks. Glad that I found I am not alone because it works like a charm. For basic internet (Chromium), Music (VOX), Mail, etc works really fast and not sure if I am going to update it.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I just got an used Macbook Air 11' 2014 (A1465) and for some reason I had to format it with internet recovery installing Mavericks. Glad that I found I am not alone because it works like a charm. For basic internet (Chromium), Music (VOX), Mail, etc works really fast and not sure if I am going to update it.
This is what I find too - if there's a browser that still runs most or all sites (Chromium) and all my other software runs well, why change? I for one don't need the increasingly unimportant (except for Metal) bells and whistles in the later OS releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.