Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

worried about apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
I work in a company that offers VPN access to customers.
I work on the iOS app development division as the lead developer.

The company have an app that provides VPN access to customers and are interested in this app being searchable. in most countries search results for VPN term seems to be disrupted.
And as a results The company iOS revenue is down 95%. and as a result i got a notice that in the next 30 days i need to leave the company. (i don’t blame them)

the problem started 3 months ago.
the problem is, when searching for “VPN” term in most of the countries the results contain almost only Chinese apps.

At the very same time, search in US Appstore against “VPN” term return almost no Chinese apps.

in a country like Cyprus all the top 100 search results are Chinese apps, i dont know how people in Cyprus can find english VPN apps.

In the Middle East everyone uses a VPN app to surf websites like Facebook and twitter, but if you search for VPN in the App Store there 35 of the top 40 apps are in Chinese, but if you look at the top free apps you will never see any Chinese apps only Arabic and English , this tells you that no one is downloading the Chinese apps there.

This is very weird and very strange I don’t think people in countries like Italy and Finland use Chinese apps.
Its is very unlikely that people in countries sharing much of the culture and outlook choose apps from other part of the world.
This is killing all English VPN apps... and also our company app because most of our downloads for the past 5 years are in Europe and middle east

I think this happened because apple is focusing on Chinese people and USA people and leaving everyone behind…
All our attempts of contacting apple regarding this issue has failed.

I don’t know if this happened to other terms like chat or games or something else …

If anyone have a way to contact apple or a way to fix this please tell me

P.S sorry for my english its my third language

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Chinese companies tend to dump a lot of money into advertising and SEO. I've personally never seen very many Chinese apps when searching for apps. Maybe your company should focus on SEO and advertising? A lot of Chinese companies also game the system by writing fake reviews and then messing with the analytics by downloading their own app using hundreds of different accounts. Unfortunately nothing can be done unless Apple thinks that it's an issue and cracks down on it.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I work in a company that offers VPN access to customers.
I work on the iOS app development division as the lead developer.

The company have an app that provides VPN access to customers and are interested in this app being searchable. in most countries search results for VPN term seems to be disrupted.
And as a results The company iOS revenue is down 95%. and as a result i got a notice that in the next 30 days i need to leave the company. (i don’t blame them)

the problem started 3 months ago.
the problem is, when searching for “VPN” term in most of the countries the results contain almost only Chinese apps.

At the very same time, search in US Appstore against “VPN” term return almost no Chinese apps.

in a country like Cyprus all the top 100 search results are Chinese apps, i dont know how people in Cyprus can find english VPN apps.

In the Middle East everyone uses a VPN app to surf websites like Facebook and twitter, but if you search for VPN in the App Store there 35 of the top 40 apps are in Chinese, but if you look at the top free apps you will never see any Chinese apps only Arabic and English , this tells you that no one is downloading the Chinese apps there.

This is very weird and very strange I don’t think people in countries like Italy and Finland use Chinese apps.
Its is very unlikely that people in countries sharing much of the culture and outlook choose apps from other part of the world.
This is killing all English VPN apps... and also our company app because most of our downloads for the past 5 years are in Europe and middle east

I think this happened because apple is focusing on Chinese people and USA people and leaving everyone behind…
All our attempts of contacting apple regarding this issue has failed.

I don’t know if this happened to other terms like chat or games or something else …

If anyone have a way to contact apple or a way to fix this please tell me

P.S sorry for my english its my third language
I don't see this as a fixable offense personally. I mean, there's not much on the software side you can do about Apple's proprietary search results. You may try searching for some SEO tips online.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Depending on where you are located, developers with several years of professional iOS app development experience sometimes don't spend too much time looking for a new (sometimes better paying) position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.