Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I’m sorry PC fans but even as a current PC user, I’m discovering Windows is still Windows. The UI is great if not equally as good as MacOS, the software support is the best, the notebook hardware options are endless and superior, but... I’m finding Windows is STILL Windows!

Windows overtime simply just gets slower and buggier. It always has been my experience and still is. And just weird, small driver issues OS bugs popping up here and there, not requiring complete reboots constantly, but enough to sometimes take my mind off my work. This isn’t enough to make me denounce Windows or PCs... but it does make me miss the old days where Apple didn’t have completely incompetent hardware for ridiculously stupid prices.

Reactions: kazmac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m discovering Windows is still Windows.
And macOS is still macOS.

Both operating systems have their quirks and issues. Both operating systems have bugs and issues with drivers. macOS is more consistent with the UI and I will say user experience. I've reinstalled windows a number of times, and each time something is different. Nothing major but little things. I find that windows supports much more varied set of peripherals and hardware and peripheral support legacy hardware with driver updates then with the Mac.

I'm not so sure about windows slowing down over time, I feel like that's a thing of the past, at least that's been my experience.

Overall, I'm finding myself more efficient and more productive on a PC as it doesn't get in the way and allows me to work the way I need to work. Granted, my work often involves supporting and interfacing windows servers. YMMV

Are there things I miss regarding macOS, yes, windows isn't perfect.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use iCloud services a lot and also use iTunes a lot so it is very hard for me to leave macOS which is why I will operate in a dual environment. I would prefer to just stay with macOS (I haven't used Windows in probably a month or two) but Apple's hardware issues make it untenable for at least the next year and maybe longer. It took them a while to get into this mess and I think that it will take them a while to get out of it.

I use Linux daily as well and don't even think of it as a separate operating system (I connect using VNC from my Mac). It just feels like macOS.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
And macOS is still macOS.

Both operating systems have their quirks and issues. Both operating systems have bugs and issues with drivers. macOS is more consistent with the UI and I will say user experience. I've reinstalled windows a number of times, and each time something is different. Nothing major but little things. I find that windows supports much more varied set of peripherals and hardware and peripheral support legacy hardware with driver updates then with the Mac.

I'm not so sure about windows slowing down over time, I feel like that's a thing of the past, at least that's been my experience.

Overall, I'm finding myself more efficient and more productive on a PC as it doesn't get in the way and allows me to work the way I need to work. Granted, my work often involves supporting and interfacing windows servers. YMMV

Are there things I miss regarding macOS, yes, windows isn't perfect.

True, there is no perfect system. To be fair to the poster above you, my reason for giving up on the Acer I had -besides the awful screen- was the fact that updates slowed it down considerably.

Me being a Windows noob, I worry about that and the hardware/software issues I keep reading about in the laptops I am circling. Plus, my ignorance of W10 doesn’t help matters.

That said, Apple has been getting my knickers in a twist for years now, to the point where I will detach from iOS. The iOS hardware and software is no longer optimal for me.

Anyway, it depends on the user. I think there is room for several OS in my work flow and your mention that Windows stays out of your way is very enticing.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
True, there is no perfect system. To be fair to the poster above you, my reason for giving up on the Acer I had -besides the awful screen- was the fact that updates slowed it down considerably.

Me being a Windows noob, I worry about that and the hardware/software issues I keep reading about in the laptops I am circling. Plus, my ignorance of W10 doesn’t help matters.

That said, Apple has been getting my knickers in a twist for years now, to the point where I will detach from iOS. The iOS hardware and software is no longer optimal for me.

Anyway, it depends on the user. I think there is room for several OS in my work flow and you’re saying that Windows stays out of your way is very enticing.

Thanks for posting.

The slowdowns could be due to Spectre/Meltdown fixes. Modern performance computing is built on speculative execution and you take a performance hit trying to patch the security holes.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I’m sorry PC fans but even as a current PC user, I’m discovering Windows is still Windows. The UI is great if not equally as good as MacOS, the software support is the best, the notebook hardware options are endless and superior, but... I’m finding Windows is STILL Windows!

Windows overtime simply just gets slower and buggier. It always has been my experience and still is. And just weird, small driver issues OS bugs popping up here and there, not requiring complete reboots constantly, but enough to sometimes take my mind off my work. This isn’t enough to make me denounce Windows or PCs... but it does make me miss the old days where Apple didn’t have completely incompetent hardware for ridiculously stupid prices.

My W10 systems are if anything faster, and less problematic. Personally I don't buy into the Windows degrades over time, this notebook is used professionally and everything, it's still on the original OEM software image, no clean installs. The tools are built into Windows.

Right now, I'll take stability & inconsistency in the GUI over what Apple is currently serving up any day of the week, let alone the hardware...

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Well, I had to make a choice and based on the PCs that were available for me to test, I couldn't find anything. My budget shifted significantly, so I wanted to cast my net beyond starters. If I could find a creative type machine that met my budget and needs, I'd switch. I did not. I was Goldilocks in the two stores I went to, one of the sales reps asked for help in the department since he had his "hands full" with me. :p My timing stunk for the switch these past 6 months, I had to buy a machine now.

So, no PC jump yet. I am still kazmac: adopted a new 2017 iMac (top tier stock model) and upgraded the ram myself (that was so easy. A lot easier than the 2013 27" iMac). The critical software I wanted is currently not available (but the need for it is gone too), however everything else is available.

I'll continue to use Apple as I want to use Apple, not as Tim and co want me to use Apple. My refusal to capitulate with their services beyond movie and app purchases, and buying older Apple tech suits me just fine.

Thanks for your patience, the pep talks etc. :) They mean a lot. I am eliminating as much stress as I possibly can, and as everyone here knows, I was bringing a lot of stress onto myself in trying to switch.

Eventually, there will be an awesome creator-studio-gamer PC that will meet all my needs, be comfortable and allow me to be dual platform. I'll keep hanging out here as I respect the discussions and so appreciate everyone's patience, no nonsense information, and cranky reality about :apple:. Plus the PC hardware is so freaking cool.

Anyway, thank you everyone. Upwards and onwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
You bought a great computer. Changing OS platforms is never a cakewalk. Maybe grab an inexpensive Windows notebook on Black Friday to fool with. But if you are productive with the Mac, can accept the premium of the Mac, then stick with it. Nothing wrong with the choice, just a personal choice. Enjoy!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So Catalina has been announced and the only major feature AFAIK, is that the OS will run iPad apps, oh and activation lock. I suppose that's the issue with annual releases, the updates are smaller and less exciting. MS isn't immune to that issue either, since they have a spring/fall schedule.

I was personally underwhelmed by update, though it has almost no bearing on me - I have an iMac and Mojave messed up my install so I'm not even running on that. I got invited to the beta, maybe I'll throw that on there as my kids may like the ability to run their iPad apps on a large screen

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
So Catalina has been announced and the only major feature AFAIK, is that the OS will run iPad apps, oh and activation lock. I suppose that's the issue with annual releases, the updates are smaller and less exciting. MS isn't immune to that issue either, since they have a spring/fall schedule.

I was personally underwhelmed by update, though it has almost no bearing on me - I have an iMac and Mojave messed up my install so I'm not even running on that. I got invited to the beta, maybe I'll throw that on there as my kids may like the ability to run their iPad apps on a large screen

No changes here, running IOS or for that matter Android app's on my systems is way down the list, just above "jet washing them" :p I'm looking for productivity enhancements to the primary OS which is fairness Microsoft has been delivering slowly but surely, although I can imagine some will see benefit in running IOS apps.

Like as not wont bother to install Catalina as my usage of the Mac is now so low and the family mostly don't care as long as the OS does what they want and secure.

Q-6

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I agree, OP. Sadly, no.

I am on Windoze for three weeks already now. The only thing I love about it is that it can play games. Macs are pathetic for games, and developers dont seem to care. Apple doesn't care, also, so it's the settled matter.

As for everything else, I despise everything about it. Who made this crap?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I agree, OP. Sadly, no.

I am on Windoze for three weeks already now. The only thing I love about it is that it can play games. Macs are pathetic for games, and developers dont seem to care. Apple doesn't care, also, so it's the settled matter.

As for everything else, I despise everything about it. Who made this crap?

If I were forced to run Windows, I'd only run the applications that I had to and run everything else on macOS. Yes, it means two systems but that may be the only way to get some things working acceptably while using the better UI for things that aren't performance issues.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
5BB6A27B-5491-4C81-8466-3BE2D99ADE1B.jpeg
This just made me laugh!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AustraliaMSI/status/1136188253785034752

Reactions: Queen6

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX

Well as Steve would probably say... "Your using it wrong." ;) For real though, I have not had any problems with slowing down or degrading over time. In fact I feel the newest upgrade is faster overall. Even with OS X (MacOS) and the years before windows 10 I always clean installed after each big update just to keep it clean. Since Windows 10 I have upgraded from 8 to 10 and each update after and have no degradation or slowing down.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well as Steve would probably say... "Your using it wrong." ;) For real though, I have not had any problems with slowing down or degrading over time. In fact I feel the newest upgrade is faster overall. Even with OS X (MacOS) and the years before windows 10 I always clean installed after each big update just to keep it clean. Since Windows 10 I have upgraded from 8 to 10 and each update after and have no degradation or slowing down.

That's my experience with W10 no issues. OS has been fine for me and I switched back in 2016 for work purpose. Performance has been consistent and if anything improved. I generally create system images and reload them, equally all my systems are on the original base install, plus updates none exhibit issue.

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
:p Well, I'll be back among you after all.

iMac's going back today. I should have researched and ignored my fear. :rolleyes:

Getting a Windows laptop (possibly another Surface). Maybe today, possibly next week depending on what Best Buy does in an hour (refund: I'll wait and just go to MS store again, exchange probably for a Surface of some kind). And I have a wired mouse here too. :)

Anyway, lesson learned. Just jump in and ask. My fears of migrating were proven wrong (If I have trouble on a newer Mac too, then why I am paying more for that?)

Naturally, my older iMac is flying now. :) :rolleyes::)

Can we say 5th time is the charm. Please?

Dual Platformship, here I come.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
:p Well, I'll be back among you after all.

iMac's going back today. I should have researched and ignored my fear. :rolleyes:

Getting a Windows laptop (possibly another Surface). Maybe today, possibly next week depending on what Best Buy does in an hour (refund: I'll wait and just go to MS store again, exchange probably for a Surface of some kind). And I have a wired mouse here too. :)

Anyway, lesson learned. Just jump in and ask. My fears of migrating were proven wrong (If I have trouble on a newer Mac too, then why I am paying more for that?)

Naturally, my older iMac is flying now. :) :rolleyes::)

Can we say 5th time is the charm. Please?

Dual Platformship, here I come.
I'm using a Surface Book 2 and had a few Surface Pro's. Surfaces are great devices. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck, enjoy!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I'm using a Surface Book 2 and had a few Surface Pro's. Surfaces are great devices. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck, enjoy!

Waiting on refunds. Best Buy were fine with the return.

Thank you very much. I know to ask now and not touch the settings. I tried the Surface Pro, Surface Book and the Surface laptop. Of the three, I liked the Surface book the most. I’ll see what fits me and the budget. I am armed with a wired mouse, so no more mice borks. :D:):D

I wish I could wait until the Fall for the SB3, but that is not an option.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
My workstation install of Windows 7 is past 4 years on an Samsung Pro SSD, SATAIII. It still gets to desktop and loaded within 8-10 seconds. No slowdown since then. This wasn't possible with mechanical drives. I have no real reason to reinstall Windows even four and a half years later. It's crazy!

What I love about Win10, on the other hand, is the constant improvements. And with 1903, Windows now allows you to delay major updates for up to 18 months. Microsoft also plans on improving internal I/O for faster response.
[doublepost=1560239448][/doublepost]
In fact I feel the newest upgrade is faster overall.
Yes, contrary to what MS lists, if you test on their fast ring you have access to other details. They're currently doing multiple phases of rewriting how the OS handles I/O. This latest version, the May update, brought in some refinements and new code.

Driver issues are a vendor issue. Microsoft signs drivers. That's it. If your Razer mouse or whatever has a faulty driver, Windows will do its best to operate it until a sheer point. Blame the hardware or software manufacturer, not Windows.

I've had more issues with macOS since Snow Leopard than Windows.

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
My workstation install of Windows 7 is past 4 years on an Samsung Pro SSD, SATAIII. It still gets to desktop and loaded within 8-10 seconds. No slowdown since then. This wasn't possible with mechanical drives. I have no real reason to reinstall Windows even four and a half years later. It's crazy!

What I love about Win10, on the other hand, is the constant improvements. And with 1903, Windows now allows you to delay major updates for up to 18 months. Microsoft also plans on improving internal I/O for faster response.
[doublepost=1560239448][/doublepost]
Yes, contrary to what MS lists, if you test on their fast ring you have access to other details. They're currently doing multiple phases of rewriting how the OS handles I/O. This latest version, the May update, brought in some refinements and new code.

Driver issues are a vendor issue. Microsoft signs drivers. That's it. If your Razer mouse or whatever has a faulty driver, Windows will do its best to operate it until a sheer point. Blame the hardware or software manufacturer, not Windows.

I've had more issues with macOS since Snow Leopard than Windows.
Also this one had the retpoline fix for the Specter threat which should bring back performance that the initial patch reduced.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Also this one had the retpoline fix for the Specter threat which should bring back performance that the initial patch reduced.

Well 1903 certainly didn't hurt performance
3103CB (No Taskbar).jpg
Personally I've no issue with updates as long as I can dictate when the system needs to restart and I like that Microsoft continuously develops the OS.

Q-6

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
So I went into the Microsoft store this morning and walked out with a Razer Blade 15.6 Full HD RTX 2070 Max-Q.

Is it overkill? In some respects, absolutely.
In others, no. Since my iMac is dying, I figured I better just jump in. If the MBPs had no keyboard issues etc. I would have stuck around.

Landed an excellent deal (Nearly $450 off in total) including Performance Guard warranty from MS.

I was also looking at a 2018 Asus (Have no idea what model) and a MSI Prestige P63. The screen was the determining factor, as was dual channel RAM. I’d rather have something that could replace my iMac.

And, yes, I have wired mice.:p:D:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.