Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
macbidouille.. or however you spell it

They are now saying that new powerbooks will be released before the first week in November, but may ship later. Aren't they the first people to correctly call the PM bump, with pics if i remember? I hope they're right.:cool:

boo-bear

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho
Mayte this is too logical, but the double your memory program is going until Dec. 31st. How likely is it that they would release a new product while that promotion is going? As hopeful as I am for a new PB release, I am now leaning towards MWSF.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by boo-bear
Mayte this is too logical, but the double your memory program is going until Dec. 31st. How likely is it that they would release a new product while that promotion is going? As hopeful as I am for a new PB release, I am now leaning towards MWSF.

I'd say it's very unlikely since that program is for the entire product line.

Now that Apple has retail stores, I'm much more doubtful that the company will be announcing consumer devices at MWSF since they miss the entire Christmas buying season. I believe an announcement around the first week of November and delivering around the Thanksgiving timeframe is more likely.

Given this "logic" I expect to see new iBooks, and since the PowerBook G4 is a little older I think Apple will rev it as well. If they don't then I believe they need to rethink their whole retail strategy.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Re: What the?!?

Originally posted by impierced
Where did the PowerBook article on the front page of MacRumors.com go? There was an article summarizing different web page speculations over the past few months and including new information that stated a new PowerBook would be released during the 3rd week of October?

Was I dreaming? Am I still?

Maybe "I" need to lighten up on that crack.

Here is the link for the rumor roundup click me

And here is the rumor I am refering to when I said powerbooks were to be released the third week of October click me

Be patient folks, be patient!

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Re: PowerBook speed bump history...

Originally posted by impierced
11/10/1997 PowerBook G3 250MHz
05/06/1998 PowerBook G3 233/250/292 MHz (6 months)
09/01/1998 PowerBook G3 233/266/300 MHz (4 months)
05/10/1999 PowerBook G3 333/400 Mhz (8 months)
02/16/2000 PowerBook G3 400/500 MHz (9 months)
01/09/2001 PowerBook G4 400/500 MHz (11 months)
10/16/2001 PowerBook G4 550/667 MHz (9 months)
04/29/2002 PowerBook G4 667/800 MHz (6.5 months)

No real pattern, but since inception of the PowerBook G3 (hacked hybrid of the PowerBook 3400) Apple has updated their hardware an average of every 7.5 months.

Given that we should expect to see an update around November 15th. Though I'm not holding my breath and expect to have to wait until MacWorld Expo San Fran. 2003. *sigh*

Well, according to your calculations...7.5 months from the previous update would put the next update at December 15 ;) Then new pbs after MWSF is very likely according to that.:(

Don't forget, the 11 months between the G3 to G4 was a big step...and the 9 months was partly because of the 500/550 MHz Motorola screw up. (I think)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Originally posted by boo-bear

Do you know how nice it would be to have double the ram (for the same price) in new powerbooks? That'd be awesome!

Great holiday incentive to buy;)

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think that we'll see the imac get an update before any of the other models.

It would probably mean Apple would have a poor 4th quarter if they do not introduce some sort of upgrade.

exbox

macrumors member
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
I think that we'll see the imac get an update before any of the other models.

It would probably mean Apple would have a poor 4th quarter if they do not introduce some sort of upgrade.

I dont think we will see an imac update until after the powerbooks. If the imacs were updated, they would be faster than the powerbook (this is assuming the proc. would be updated) , creating confusion in apple's product line.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
While I am no insider, I get the feeling that Apple might be just waiting for their stock to reduce a little before releasing new PowerBooks.

PowerBook 667s have been shipping to fill backlog whereas 800s have been in stock for a while.

As I suggested, I am just speculating here but maybe they are waiting to sell more 800s and clear stock and then they will release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.