Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
$1.00 in 2008 is $1.21 in 2020. Apple Tier prices have not increased since the beginning, 2008. I think it's past time that App Store prices increase. Here's my suggestion. Tier 1 from $0.99 to $1.20, Tier 2 from $1.99 to $2.40, etc. Developer's take goes to $0.84 (Tier 1) and $1.68 (Tier 2).

Reactions: christiann

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm not sure this wouldn't just result in fewer sales. If you feel your app is worth more you can knock it up a tier already, so I'm not sure inflation is such a big issue here. You can just think of it as adding tiers below the way it started over time. But I get your point and it's valid of course

Reactions: martyjmclean

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
An alternative is to keep a basic/trial version of your software free and just increase the full version's price like from $3.99 to $4.99.

It's not like the iTunes/Apple Music/Apple TV side of things where major record labels/movie studios control the content pricing.

In any case app pricing is governed by the individual app developer. You can release a crippled free app and nickel-and-dime your user base with microtransactions or subscription fees, something a musician can't do with a 4-minute song.

Also app developers have the choice of whether or not to implement in-app advertising as an alternative monetization strategy. A lot of free apps are polluted with ads. This is apparently even more pronounced in the Android landscape.

The more successful mainstream musicians rake in more revenue from touring and related merch sales than song/album royalties (either outright sales or streaming royalties) anyhow.

Note that paying for content access doesn't eliminate advertising. How many people here pay for cable television access yet still see advertising on screen?

Last edited:

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
As someone who will buy any app that seems like it will have even a 20% chance to be useful to me, and purchase it without hesitation, I'd just like to say here that I've bought many $10 apps that I saw used in YouTube tutorials or that seemed to have promise for what I do, but I would never even touch an app that charged a penny a year by subscription.

I think if you have to raise prices it's something people will adapt to, just please don't change to subscriptions. In this world where the average 12 year old is walking around with a $400+ phone and the average 16 year old doesn't hesitate to buy a $5 coffee with whipped cream and sprinkles, $2 for an app won't slow them down as much as people think, as long as it's not a subscription.

If you need to change your prices, I don't think people will hesitate to spend as long as it has good reviews (promise), no ads (no lasting regret or annoyances), and a one time purchase price.

Reactions: martyjmclean

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
As someone who will buy any app that seems like it will have even a 20% chance to be useful to me, and purchase it without hesitation, I'd just like to say here that I've bought many $10 apps that I saw used in YouTube tutorials or that seemed to have promise for what I do, but I would never even touch an app that charged a penny a year by subscription.

I think if you have to raise prices it's something people will adapt to, just please don't change to subscriptions. In this world where the average 12 year old is walking around with a $400+ phone and the average 16 year old doesn't hesitate to buy a $5 coffee with whipped cream and sprinkles, $2 for an app won't slow them down as much as people think, as long as it's not a subscription.

If you need to change your prices, I don't think people will hesitate to spend as long as it has good reviews (promise), no ads (no lasting regret or annoyances), and a one time purchase price.
My apps don't use subscriptions. Thank you for your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.