Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmueller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
As unapologetic lovers of CoverFlow, we are stubbornly sticking with iTunes 10 for our main music library. [I have a subset of the main library that I manually maintain on a separate Mac mini with current iTunes in order to manage the music on my iPhone 4.] In our experience this means that the App Store on the iTunes 10 Mac is unable to download app purchases and updates [though system updates to Yosemite come down just fine - different mechanism in the same box I guess].
Has anyone been able to get the modern App Store to work with iTunes 10?
Currently I have a small partition with another copy of Yosemite that I periodically boot into and download the App updates which I then copy over to the Yosemite +iTunes10 partition. Sometimes I have to catch an app's installer package before it begins installing and copy that over instead [looking at you, Xcode...], but most smaller apps are fine with just the app bundle.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Trick is: after you get iTunes 10 up and running, you change its name to "myTunes" or something similar. You need to boot from another disk, or mess with permissions to do this.
Once that's done, install the latest iTunes as usual to use for purchases syncing and such.
You'll have to make aliases, and have a v10 and a v12 library that you can option start up to, but the whole thing works, although both use the same prefs plist.
iTunes 10 will then give you a warning about missing component on startup, but that can be safely ignored.
Make your purchases and do your syncs thru v12, play your music thru v10.

Reactions: jimmueller

jimmueller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
Trick is: after you get iTunes 10 up and running, you change its name to "myTunes" or something similar.
Make your purchases and do your syncs thru v12, play your music thru v10.
Verrrrrrry interesting, Partron22.
We will have to give that a shot this weekend after a good night's sleep.
Thank you for the advice.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
after a good night's sleep.
Best plan. It's a bit of a twitchy kludge, so be prepared to think. There are several other threads here that include talk of running multiple versions of iTunes. They may be worth your digging up.
Also, make a backup, and when you screw up and accidentally update your library file to 12.3, remember that your nice 10.7 library is happily backed up in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder.

Reactions: jimmueller

jimmueller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
Best plan. It's a bit of a twitchy kludge, so be prepared to think. There are several other threads here that include talk of running multiple versions of iTunes. They may be worth your digging up.
Thanks for the suggestion Partron22. I could not find any of the threads here about running multiple iTunes, but was able to get it to work.
I first booted from another drive and changed the name of the iTunes application. When I booted from the original drive iTunes would not launch at all any more. I reinstalled iTunes 10 using Pacifist and renamed it using the Terminal (rm iTunes.app myTunes.app). iTunes 10 then worked fine with our library which is on a network share. I disconnected the network share and installed the current iTunes and let it create a local iTunes folder. Once I reconnected the network share iTunes 10 (myTunes) would launch with an error as you warned but works fine. The Apple store also works fine now and downloads applications perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.