Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
Hello,

Upgraded to iOS9 yesterday and iTunes 12.3 today. Before the iTunes upgrade it was seeing my iPod and iPad Mini via USB - I even synced the iPad before doing the iTunes upgrade. Since then, iTunes refuses to see the USB ports on my (Windows 10) laptop and thus can't see either iPod or iPad, using a third-party cable or an Apple Original. That information was gleaned using the Diagnostics menu option in iTunes. I've restarted both devices and the laptop.

However, Windows Explorer does see both iDevices, and I can navigate to the DCIM folder to see photos.

However (again), sometimes Windows can't see the DCIM folder and says there's nothing there (with either cable).

Anyone had the same or similar, either with iOS9/iTunes 12.3 or something else?

Update This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 12.3, then uninstalled 12.3 and installed 12.1 - no joy. So I rolled back my Windows 10 installation to the last restore point, updated all the other software - et voila, everything's working as it should (or rather, as it was :) ). So I'd guess my issue is something to do with iTunes 12.3 and Windows 10.

I say "as it was", but I installed Microsoft OneNote the other day, and I can't sync or transfer it to the laptop. the App Store tells me that all my apps are up to date as well. So something's really wrong somewhere!

Gary

Last edited:

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
Another update: having given a few days "just in case" I did the iTunes update again, it failed to see the iDevices again. And yet, each device asked me to allow my laptop to be a trusted device and I could see the DCIM directory in Explorer - impossible if, as iTunes says, there are no USB ports found.

It also said that Windows Firewall wasn't allowing iTunes through. Windows Firewall says it is.

To cap it off, this time when i did a System Restore the iTunes menus were all scrambled and it kept crashing - so now I'm on 12.1.

iTunes 12.3 is supposed to work with Windows 10. Like pants it does.
Gary

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
If it helps anyone, have a look at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203188

I found that after I solved the issue for me. Uninstall iTunes, install iTunes 12.2.2 from a file, then install iTunes 12.3 from a file - not via the Check for Updates option under Help. Working fine now, although I note that when running the Diagnostics option, iTunes still thinks I have no USB ports.

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.